Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to use when converting dwg.s to pdf? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcrogers

Electrical
May 15, 2003
US
I need to convert dwgs to pdf so I can distribute them without the dwgs being tampered with. What programs would you recommend?
Anything out there cheap or free?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a program called "DISTILLER" included in ADOBE ACROBAT.
It works exactly as a new printer wich is instaled in your PC. By sending your draw, from AUTOCAD, to this new printer, it would generate not a plot, but a file PDF with the name you assign. This file could be open with ACROBAT READER.
Hope its help. Best Regards

try fineprint factory pro....
it works good for acad and other documents such as word or excell, etc. It's free but has a link to their website at the bottom of the page. to buy, it's only $100, which is A LOT cheaper than adobe. it's easy to use and has a lot of features.

While we're on this topic, does anybody know the difference between Adobe Distiller and Adobe PDFWriter? I realize this is probably the wrong forum to ask this but let's see...

tg

Another great program for use to convert DWG to PDF is AcroPlot. You can do multiple files at one time. The resolution is also very good. You can also buy the Jr version that will allow you to convert all layout tabs in a single drawing to PDF files.

I have been using the Jr version for about a year. It has worked great, and the support offered by the company is excellent.

T-Mack

Adobe Acrobat includes two PDF printer drivers: Distiller and PDF Writer.

Distiller actually converts postscript (PS) files to PDF. When you print to Distiller, you actually generate a PS file first, which is then converted to PDF.

The PDF writer, on the other hand, prints more directly to PDF. It is somewhat faster and easier to use, but doesn't offer as much control as Distiller.

We have a program that came with our KIP Printer called "Powerprint Request".
One of the things you can do with it is select a group of plot files and covert them to PDF's. It works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back