Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what weld joining technique suitable for steel wire rope joining? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2006
LK
i am looking for a welding technique that can be applied for online joining of steel wire ropes. i am looking for a welding or soldering technique which will give rise to a sufficiently strength joint. the ropes are arround 4mm in diameter and having app. 40 small wires twisted in bunches(the steel wire rope type is shown in the attached picture)

in our location we use these cables to produce rubberized steel cords for rubber track production. there we face a critica issue in case of sudden exhaust of these wire bobins. in this case if we can have a joining technique for joining the ends of the old and new wires it will be very benificial.

looking for your knowledgable advice on this.

thank you..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is not clear to me if you want to join just an occasional wire whose bobin is empty or the whole rope.
Welding may help for uninterrupted production, but the welded section should be discarded if full strength of the rope has to be assured, because welding heat anneals the hardened steel and reduces its strength.
Did you ask the rope equipment manufacturers how they suggest to solve the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back