Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would you do If you were my supervisor/manager and I (new hire) asked you this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechGuy87

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2016
US
Dear Engineers,
I recently accepted a job offer of Engineer position and I am starting in a week. Due to some family conditions, I have to go back to my country for two weeks (atleast) to take care of some family stuff. I live in California and my country is on the other side of the world. Now, I am thinking how to ask the manager about the vacation only one week after the start date of the job. How bad would this look? What would you think about all this If you were my manager and I asked you for two weeks vacation only one week after the start date?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you explain that it's a family emergency it's very likely, if you're going to be working for a good company with sympathetic management and you explained this to them as soon as possible, you should be able to get the time off. HOWEVER, you need to accept the fact that this is NOT a vacation (and you would be advised to never even use that word when asking your management for the leave) and that you will probably (I would say with almost 100% certainty) NOT be paid for the time that you miss. If they agree that you can have the time off, without pay, but that your job will be there when you return, simply be grateful, thank them profusely and consider yourself to be very lucky and then move on.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

It may be easier for the company to simply move back your start date... IF you tell them immediately. Easier on everyone involved.

Dan - Owner
URL]

You're starting in a week, but don't have to leave for another two weeks? Doesn't sound much like an emergency.

Regardless, talk to your hiring manager now and explain you have a family situation and need to delay your start by what ever time you think you need.

This is not unheard of and a good company/manager will understand.

Only new thing I would suggest is to first call and talk directly to your new supervisor about the situation, rather than just feeding the info through HR with a "sorry, this is what I'm doing, take it or leave it" letter.

Maybe they have orientation/training scheduled that week for 5 new employees including you, and it is better to get through that and then be gone for 2 the weeks. Most likely its still easier for everyone if you delay the start, but you don't know unless you ask.

Agree with all the above. Would add a suggestion that you are as open as possible (and honest) about what the "family condition" actually is. A better informed manager can be more confident they are making the right decision - in turn making it easier to be a bit more generous.

A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back