Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whats happened to ProE2001 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyb

Aerospace
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Has anybody had the chance to look at ProE2001 yet. Most people consider ProE to be one of the best modelling systems available only to be let down by it drawing interface. Well PTC in there wisdom have revamped the interface adding in some nice functionality for parametric sketches, but hidden all the old menu structure for dealing with models and model dimensions. They haven’t even got an icon to modify a dimension. You have to trawl through the drop down menus to find it.

Anyway try it for yourselves, see what other great pieces of useless functionality they have added. I am sure this is only an interim stage to a better interface, but please!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are right. Drop down menus are very cluttered and confusing. Although adding icons will minimise this problem but how much? After all one can not put icons of all used commands. This will be heavy on the system also.
I suggest more and more mapkeys should be used. Mapkeys not only solve this problem but also improve speed of work because less mouse travel and one step execution of a command/group of commands.
N P Singh N P Singh

...and Mapkeys definitions can remain constant across subsequent releases of ProE (some may require redefining when the menu structure changes). I have my function keys loaded up with mapkey commands (view settings, printing, etc.)

Although I don't know how useful it is, PTC incorporated a reference in the Release Notes for 2001 that shows you where commands were buried in the menu structure - this may help.

Recneps

I swear by icons. It is the only way to work most of the time. To give you some idea
400 mapkeys
270 icons
And some of those icons bring in different window configurations and mapkeys
Just the slight problem of getting it to clear the icons for one window config setting away when the next lot come in
If you stick to different colours for different types of tasks, it really works well
All my file input/output printing Intralink related stuff is blue/white
All datum feature creation is red/green
So and so forth

The right mouse button while in the sketcher mode brings up the modify option.

Anybody in this group use Pro/Mechanica?. If so I will come back with some problems.
Thanks,
TS

Jzman,
What do you use to model rigid connections in Mechanica?. Iam using a beam of high stiffness at present(Iam using 2000i). Also the spring properties definition is quite confusing (The spring orientation in particular confuses me. Iam not able to appreciate how it will affect the model. I gather that other software like Nastran are much simpler in modeling springs and rigid links). Can you throw some light on this subject?

Thanks,

TS

TS,

I have not used them, but there now rigid connections as a tool (in 2000i2). They are under - Structure - Model - Idealizations. You can use points, curves or surfaces as a reference to create the rigid connection. In the past I have used the beam element trick, but have not had any models recently that needed this.

They seem to be easier to setup and configure in integrated mode (switch to independent if you need better control of the mesh). In general integrated mode has more features in 2000i2 and I read that in 2001 it gets better.

As for the springs - I am in the same boat - I tried using them recently on a model and the results are not at all what I expected. If anyone else has any tips for springs I would appreciate them as well.

z

For ANDYB,

It's so simple.... In config.pro set SKETCHER_INTENT_MANAGER NO

You will have the "old" menus on the right.

-:)

Hora.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think most of you missed the point though. I was only talking about drawings not sketcher. Intent manager is a great tool and if anybody is considering turning it off don't.

I appreciate that you can write mapkeys to overcome many shortcomings with the current menu system, but you should not have to.

I am pleased to say all that I have heard and seen of ProE2002 addresses my original concerns about ProE2001. ProE2001 was a halfway house to where we want to get too.

Regards

Andyb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back