Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's Industrial Engineering like in your country? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

susan201

Chemical
Dec 7, 2004
CN
Hi! This is Susan from China. I used to hear the word "Industrial Engineering" but I knew very little about it. And the fact is a lot of Chinese people haven't heard about the concept "Industrial Engineering".

There must be a lot of "Industrial Engineering People" from different countries in the forum. So can you share with me what is industrial engineering like in your country? Or your experience as an industrial engineer? And what's the difference between what you are taught at university and what you learned in the real industry?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my experience(s) - USA - Industrial Engineering involves a wide range of activities. I have been primarily involved with precision instrumentation products primarily with small to medium size corporations. Typically I get involved throughout the process of bringing a new product to market by providing design for manufacturing input, costing, and testing information. I am also involved in line setup, tooling selection, training, and process/QC documentation. I pretty much have a hand or interest in any aspect of what it takes to launch and build a product.

Regards,

Thank PSE for your sharing. I've also searched on the website and found that a lot of similar but different "names" are there, such as system and industrial engineering, industrial and operation engineering, industrial engineering and logistics management,etc. Of course, I can't fully figure out the differences only from the names, but I am pretty much impressed by what you said as "what it takes to launch and build a product (or project, or plant?)". Good luck to you!

Any other IE people who'd like to tell your story?

susan201,

If you are the one that gets called first when a line problem occurrs, I would encourage getting involved in all aspects as to what it takes to produce a product you support.

Regards,

Your neighbors, the Japanese, can be very instructive in quality programs and manufacturing processes. The post war miracle that occurred in Japan can be attributed to the work of American quality expert Deming. He has earned very high honorable status in Japan (now deceased).

Much of what is discussed in Industrial Engineering touches frequently on Demings quality programs. Detroit is very much in tune with Demings teachings.

Susan,
Industrial Engineering is a very diverse field. Flexibility has been my key to success. Willingness to accept a variety of responsibilities is essential. I have also become a good listener and investigator, keeping an open mind and being receptive to others opinions. Often those who are the closest to the process or problem have already thought of a viable solution.
Your inquisitive nature proves you already have what it takes to be a great Engineer!
Best wishes for your future success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back