what's old is new again ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
from flight ...
Embraer tweaks turboprop concept to have aft-mounted engines ...

81118_tp2021image3_934278_p7pxzo.jpg

didn't Boeing try this in the 90s ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

no, that's a testbed (by honeywell (and probably PWC) it looks like) ... for developing the engine software and performance.

If nothing else, it complicates ground support access between the wing trailing edge and the props.

From the state of the wing, it looks like a very low maturity concept still.

I thought one reason Boeing dropped it was that the prop didn't like being in the wing downwash ?

Maybe they should be mounted on top of the tail then?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Ahhh... the Ultrahigh By-Pass Un-Ducted Fan engines... lovingly known as the 'screamers'.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Flight tests of the UDF has been put on hold because of the fact that acoustic pressure was so high that cracks has started build up in the FTB's fuselage structure almost instantly. This is why GE inside assessment for this was "no go" for the direct drive fan type. Right now what is worked with Safran this is geared version - from practical standpoint this is just large turboprop with fancy looking fixed-pitch propeller. I think reducing blades number and adding PCM will be next step (just matter of time and xxx mln of USD)- this way GE/Safran will close the loop and will reach conclusion that turboprop is most efficient form of turbine propulsion (kind of discovery isn't it?).

really ? a fixed pitch prop ? didn't they go out in the '30s ?

yes - simply is spinning much faster than standard propeller but still slower than original UDF- if you have seen pictures they have added additional fixed blades behind propeller for tuning down noise - child of CFD analysis :D

udf_m2izbe.png

those blades look variable pitch ?

If the blades spin faster than normal turboprop, are the tips supersonic ??

"What problem is this aircraft trying to solve?" ... I don't know ... maybe a solution looking for a problem ? I suspect it's a marketing solution to a future problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back