Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What's the application of Motor in the automative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcad

Electrical
Aug 19, 2001
US
I'd like to know where the motor is used in the automative or in the future vehicle and which type of motor is often used? DC motor, Brushless DC or AC induction motor? Where can I get an example or futher infomation?
Thanks
Min

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To add to the list;

Starter
Power windows
Power convertible tops
Adjustable air suspension on SUVs/Trucks
Windshield washer pump

If it weren't for the DC motor, our cars would resemble the Model T!

As an aside, there is no AC past the Alternator rectifier and Brushless DC is too expensive with no added benefit. Most of these motors will die from abuse (excessive cranking with a weak battery or out of tune engine, running the fuel pump dry, etc.) rather than wear out.

Blacksmith

Sooner or later, somebody is going to ask about an electrical motor as the primer mover.

Or not; maybe everybody realizes that until something better than batteries comes along, electricity is never going to beat gasoline on a HP/lbs basis, which is the bottom line for most people.

Ask me? I think we should be putting some more money into small-scale fusion power. But I don't know anything, so nobody would bother asking me in the first place!

Two other motor applications for your list: the electrical side of hybrid car engines, and the regenerative braking equipment in same. Yes, I know those are more like alternators, but the parts and the principles are very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back