Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What's the best pc for inv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anoc

Computer
Apr 14, 2003
FI
1. What's currently the best PC brand and model for inventor?

Dell,HP,compaq??
Now we have fast clone PC, but it seems to be slow anyway..
2. Is Pentium or AMD XP better for inventor?

3. How bout self build PC? It's easy to build fast&cheap game pc, but fast&cheap cad-pc, whooo...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi
There is no answer to this question.
What matters are:
1)a good graphics card - more Inventor crashes are caused by bad graphics cards or the wrong drivers than probably anything else - at least check the Autodesk web site for information and see also the threads on this site for other comments
2)get lots of ram (at least 1gb)
3) Inventor (like its competitors) is heavy on most computer resources so get something reliable. There is nothing worse than doing several hours of serious hard work only to loose everything because the machine crashed.

Like I said there is no simple answer and a recommended brand name today could easily be wrong tomorrow. A last years top of the range model with some good reliablity data will save you money.

rft covered the basics. I'll elabortae a bit more.

Get a nVidia card. Quadro if possible, GeForce MX at the min. Avoid ATI like the plague. While they are getting better, years ago ATI stood for Always Trashes Inventor.

I have had 3 Dell machines. While a bit more expensive than a build it your own, I've been happy with them.

SCSI drive are a nice additon as well.

Sean Dotson, PE
Inventor Tutorials & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back