Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whats the best type for temp. shoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKJ25POL

Structural
Mar 4, 2011
US
Hi,

I have a 13 ft by 14 ft steel frame platform supported by steel columns at each corner of the platform.
There is one corner column W 8 x 24 needs to be removed and temporary shore that corner.
The platform is inside a Pre Eng building.
Whats the best type of shoring that corner of the platform for duration of 2 weeks?

What are reputable and good brands shoring manufacturers and products (In US)?
The loads on the existing column is : 1.28 Kips (DL) + 4 Kips (LL) = Total 6 Kips
Existing Steel column to be temp. removed is 14 ft tall.

I appreciate for your comments and directions.

Regards,
Skj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What would the shoring sit on? Slab on grade? Suspended slab? Another steel frame? We would need significantly more info to be practical.

For a service load of 6 kips steel post shores will work - however you need to check their capacity over your 14' height. And check how the shoring bases will be founded/supported, as jayrod12 suggested.

However, my preference is usually to use an aluminum shoring tower - if existing adjacent structures permit - with alum stringers/beams linking the u-heads of the braced-tower shoring legs. The braced frames are linked with cross-braces and are inherently stable.

The problem with single-leg post shores is that they usually need to be braced back to adjacent elements.

By way of brands, SAFWAY, PERI, DOKA, ALUMA, EFCO, etc., etc. all make very good shoring components. Most contractors rent shoring, so always best to check your local market for shoring/formwork rental companies to see what is available.

Exactly. When it comes to shoring, the best solution is the one the contractor has in his yard or can rent easily. (And calcs out for the appropriate loads of course!)

----
just call me Lo.

jayrod12 (Structural,
It will be sitting on 12" concrete slab on grade reinforced #5@ 12 two ways T&B.
Is this a problem?

Ingenuity (Structural),
Thank you so much for your response and comments.
One worry (concern) is people asking me what if the temp. shoring fails? and there are no extra means for preventing the platform from collapse!!!
Doe that mean I have to provide more shoring so if one fails doesn't result the platform collapse? Is it a typical to provide redundant shoring?

Thank you for all your helps
Skj

It is quite Atypical to provide redundant shoring.

What/ifs are always around. What if that column you designed gets taken out by a vehicle? Do you always have an alternate load path?

I don't know if I have ever seen a redundant shoring system.

This is a take on jayrod12 comment about vehicle damage. I remember reading about a shoring system failure in Washington DC back alt least 20 years ago when rain water backed up behind the shoring system and collapsed it. I do not remember all the "particulars" but the point I am making is that there could many other potential problems, so traffic and related vibration are not the only problems.
To me I would explore the use of a tower to replace the column and offset its position a few feet inward toward the platform center. Also if you use plywood for shoring use 3/4" marine plywood to be consistent with OSHA excavation regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back