Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

whats the dif between Grad A and Grad B in black steel pipe for HVAC applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No idea without more informative in material specification.

"Black steel" could be anything.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Suggest to look at the "ASTM" standard for the specific pipe material which should shown the differences in composition, mechanical properties, required treatments, etc.

Likely API 5L. The 5 committee tried to eliminate grade A ( the first API pipe grade; 25,000 min yield then) in the 80's because no company represented on API 5, used it. But the pipe mills said it was still used around the world and they needed it to stay in the 5L. Any specs I have are obsolete so I have no idea what the requirements are for grade A today.

A53F is/was pretty nasty - I thought it was going by the wayside 20 years ago. There's nothing wrong with A53B ERW (electric resistance welded) pipe for HVAC work. A106B is more than fine for any HVAC application I've ever seen. I doubt that there's many - if any - HVAC guys that have even heard of API anything.

The bit I love in the home depot link is when it says it meets "ASTM and ANSI technical specification", without actually mentioning which ones....

But it is made of "Durable pipe steel material" So it's all Good!

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back