Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the difference between car and motorcylce oil filtes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satterfi

Chemical
Jun 21, 2002
US
There are plenty of automotive oil filters that will fit on my motorcylces. All of them are taller and have more filter media.

Perhaps the bypass valve opens sooner on an automotive filter.

The oil pump on my Honda is rated at 85 psi @5,000 rpm.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A bigger canister takes longer to fill,so it takes longer to get oil pressure.If your filter is horizontal or vertical a motorcycle filter will need a high temp silicon anti drain valve.Not all car filters will have these,silicon ADVs are usually orange,but I have seen white on some Honda filters.I use car filters on my Honda,but I make sure of the quality first.And that DOESN'T mean a name brand filter,check out some of the filter threads for insight.

It's not necessarily WHAT the filter medium is but how it is used, how it is constructed. Fram, Donaldson, Wix , Purolater, Baldwin,Mopar, Motorcraft, Delco, STP, Fuel Guard, etc. are all acceptable filters in normal use and all have the same material available to them (cost is often the determining factor). Just use the correct filter for each application and stay away from the 'bargain basement' stuff. If you want to experiment, that's fine but, your mostly on your own hook. I reccommend sticking to OEM or equivelent.
Racing filters will withstand high pressure but they only filter out the 'big chunks' as flow rates are critical. Industrial hydraulic filters can go as low as needed , 1 micron or less. Several in the 10 to 20 micron range but most motorcycle and automotive in the 40+ range. Check out the industrial lubricants forum. Lots of good info there.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back