Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Whats the differences between a geometric set and an ordered GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

strim

Automotive
Mar 2, 2006
US
I'm participating in a tube test tommorrow. The outline states
canidates must understand and be able to work with both. GS vs. OGS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if you search the forums a bit, there's been some discussion about this. I'm not personally satisfied that I understand all the implications of Geometric Sets vs Ordered Geometric Sets in practice (nor Hybrid Design in general), but FWIW you may benefit from reading the other comments...

The difference between the two different types of Geometric Set are the order of the elements within the set.

In the normal GS, the sequence of elements doesn't matter. You can re-order things anyway you want (by element type, alphabetically, etc) with no problems.

In the OGS, the sequence of elements is important: Parent geometry must come before (be higher in the tree) it's childred geometry. If things are out of parent/child order, you typically get an Update Cycle error. You must be very careful when elements are re-ordered in a OGS.

Thanks... I've gained some confidence in my understanding of the differences GS vs. OGS. I'm grasping the concepts. I'd like to futher my understanding and create an "in practice/practicle" example so I may better understand how/why this is useful. I'm leaning toward the benefits of a parametrically linked set. Does this mean the OGS would be a better container for contextually linked geometry?

Cheers to all that post. What a fantastic resource!
Where was this wealth of knowledge several years ago when I first sat behind this monstrosity?

Personaly, I don't use OGSs because they are too much work and I'm lazy. The only benefit I see is that they make you think about your tree organization.

Seems for this test that there's really a Key issue surrounding the differences. But apparently we are of similar opinion...
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back