Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the right test plan to prove the airworthiness of a P-Seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWan

Aerospace
Apr 18, 2008
US
Howdy all,

I'm reviewing a test plan to replace a P-seal on an aluminum air-oil heat exchanger. It's calling for a 2000 deg flame for 5 minutes to show fire resistance. I don't think a fluorosilicone/glass fiber P-seal would survive 5 minutes at 2000 degrees and I wanted a sanity check to see if we're specifying the right test. This P-seal is on the inlet side of the air circuit. This has to go through a DER, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by specifying a test that we won't be able to pass and isn't really needed.

Thanks,

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask the/a DER for advice... won't be free but will save time/effort/expense/worry overall.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back