Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's the trick to get Conbeam to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrucPatholgst

Structural
Jan 23, 2013
US
Hopefully IDS/Doug sees this, or maybe someone else has run into this.

I downloaded Doug's ConbeamU spreadsheet, but for the life of me I can't repeat any results. Is there a "calculate" or "solver" macro command that needs to be run?

This looks like a useful tool, if I could get it run.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a comment on the blog today with a similar problem.

It should just auto-recalc when you change any input cell, but I'll have a look and get back to you.

It may be something to do with the new Excel automatic array feature. What version are you using?

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

I thought it might be :)

I meant what version of Excel, and does it support dynamic arrays?

The problem most likely is with the dynamic arrays, so I have attached a copy with all the output arrays converted back to static array format.

For documentation see the Functions sheet for brief documentation of each function, and the Using Array Functions sheet for more details on using static arrays.

Also search the blog for ConbeamU for numerous articles on the development of the spreadsheet.

Doug Jenkins

I have the following:
Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2301 Build 16.0.16026.20002) 64-bit

I tried the linked file. Same thing happened. I changed one cell, and everything went blank.

Is the top left cell of the output range also blank, or is there a message (or a single cell with a value)?

Do all the output ranges on the other sheets go blank, or just the sheet where you change the input?

Which worksheet are you using?

Doug Jenkins

I'm not sure how Microsoft release numbers work, but it looks like you have a very recent version so dynamic arrays should not be the problem.

Do other spreadsheets with VBA code from external sources work for you?

If you press Alt-F11 does it display the VBA code?

Doug Jenkins

Current version if Windows 10 and 11 now block office files containing macros at the system level. End users need to right click the file and choose properties then check the box for unblock under the security field then in excel enable macros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back