Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's Worse 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaugh

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2001
US
What's Worse, a 16,500 parts in a single assembly and all the parts are a single surface body, or a part with 16,500 surfaces?

IMO, they both are.

I have an engine STEP file that I can import either way, but no matter what its a nasty file.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd go with the part with 16,500 surfaces.

At least in the part environment, you can manipulate those surfaces, stitch edges, and create water tight solids. Besides, if it is a purchased part, you may only want the interfaces and only show a single line on a BOM.

--Scott
www.aerornd.com

If those are my choices, I would add one: Tie me to a tree and shoot me! A good experience importing STEP file surface objects is so rare I can't even remember one.

I would put it all in a part file instead of an assembly. Having them in a part file there is only one file to manage. If you make an assembly you will have all 16501 files in your directory.

I deal with this when I get exports of a PCB from Altium to put in the assembly model. It can take a while to save the imported assembly as a part but after that initial pain it makes management of the design and files much easier.

I have to agree with Jboggs... Great reply by the way [rofl]!! Since that is really not an option for me, I am going to have to go with the part, simply because of file management. However a 150MB part file is not easy to work with either.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

faq731-376

I used to pray that someday, SW would be able to import a STEP file of a helical split lockwasher without issue.
... or that my engine mfgr. would stop using them.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I assume Import Diagnosis was unable to piece this together.

Might be worth the time to stitch together the most important bits and cull the rest.

One place I worked used a service to fix difficult imports (usually CATIA!). Well worth the time. Wasn't hard to do the match to see it was worth it in terms of man-hours saves.

I have a friend that occasionally uses Spaceclaim to repair their imported files. He said its does a great job. I have not sent him a file yet.

However to answer your question Tick, at 16,500+ surfaces I don't have the time to sit down with it and try to figure it all out. If that was all I did all day, I think I would have a job for the next 6 months trying to figure that one engine out. [lol] I have like 6 of these different types of engines to deal with. [hairpull3]

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back