Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What's wrong with this picture? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think I can see an upright sprinkler turned horizontal, facing the wall. I also think I see a 1/4 turn ball valve on the supply (that's closed) and there's pressure on the gauge.

It looks like a backflow preventor with a downstream expansion tank with a closed drain valve. There is also an upstream ball valve which is closed.

This might be a limited area system off a domestic water system.

The upstream valve might be closed since the sprinkler system has not been tested yet and the domestic system has water in it.

The expansion tank is being used to compensate for pressure increase in the downstream sprinkler piping - although why it would be needed is uncertain.

The backflow prevention unit is installed backwards (flow arrows from sprinkler system to the supply rather than supply to sprinkler piping).

The backflow prevention device is also a RPZ (reduced pressure zone) style which is designed to dump water from the middle bottom port when a backpressure event occurs; there is not drain piping on this RPZ.

It also looks like the sprinkler head has been leaking based on the rust under the head and relatively new steel pipe upstream and downstream.

The white tank appears to be some sort of an attempt to trap air in the system piping? Is that an air line connection controlled by the red handled valve with a check valve between the white tank and the system piping?? Looks like someone tried to install a dry system with no air compressor..........maybe the air kept on dumping due to higher pressure on the downstream side so they flipped the backflow device to resolve the problem! HA HA

The only other possible problem I see is that the system does not have a low point drain.

I am fairly confident this sprinkler system deserves a RED TAG (primarily due to the oreintation of the RPZ Backflow prevention device)!!

There did happen to be a valve there. I recently changed out a Watts 150psi WP tank for a Young Engineering unit for an SNC Lavalin asset. The thing was built like a bomb, weighed a ton, and cost 24 times what the Watts goes for. And you wonder why you never see them.

Dave

SprinklerDesigner2 - You should be able to mount the expansion tank vertically, but as said before if the one that was installed was inexpensive then it definetly was not listed for fire protection use. The FP ones are about $800 for a small expansion tank.

"Attached is a pic of another glycol loop where the expansion tank failed." lightecho (Mechanical)

If this is a glycol loop, where is the fill cup? I suppose that you could use the 1/2" ball valve after the expansion chamber to fill the system with antifreeze.
Also shouldn't there be another isolation valve on the discharge side of the backflow for servicing or is it there before the gauge and I can't see it because of the orientation of the picture?

There is no fill cup or provision for one, there is no upstream isolation valve, The expansion tank was the only means of pressure relief, the existing OS&Y is not tampered or otherwise sealed in the open position, there is no RPZ anywhere between this glycol loop and the domestic supply.... and those were just the problems with the glycol loop.

How about NFPA 13 climb move out of the year 1909 getting rid of anti-freeze systems entirely?

*If* you do one the *right way*, with a UL listed expansion tank etc, putting in a small dry pipe system would be nearly as cheap while saving the customer headaches every year forever.

I don't do anti-freeze loops and haven't for 15 years.

I don't do anti-freeze loops and haven't for 15 years.

Can you give some more background on that SD2? We use an anti-freeze loop on just about every project we work on. I'm located in Canada, and the majority of the use is small zones near overhead doors.

For us, it's a lower maintenance solution than a dry pipe zone, fewer pipe corrosion issues than dry pipe... generally cheaper too.

Chris,

I'm near Florida so it's warmer and seeing how it seldom gets below freezing we don't have to fret aver zones near overhead doors. Coldest I've seen it in past 4 years was 24 F and that was cold enough for me.

When I do see anti-freeze systems they tend to be larger than one or two heads.

The cost of an RPZ backflow prevention assembly (EPA required here) plus added to the cost of the expansion tank adds to the cost along with the anti-freeze at $10 per gallon etc.

Annual testing on the backflow will run $100 per year (must be done by someone certified in testing backflows and sprinklers) and that goes on forever. Add to this the cost of draining/re-mixing the anti-freeze and I wouldn't touch the smallest one for less than $250 per year total. This goes on forever.

Yes, they are cheaper but I'm opinionated and don't like them.

Florida! humbug... It's 8C here right now ... and we're HAPPY about it.

I'm "up here" also. The first example above is 3 sprinklers protecting a small loading bay of a grocery store, the other is 12 sprinklers at the entrance to an underground parkade. I would say that a dry system will cost significantly more initially, most certainly if you have to have a dedicated compressor. But then as SD points out there's the ongoing maintenance costs....

Personally I can't stand the stuff.

Dave

My concern is the pipe corrosion we've seen in dry pipe systems. It wouldn't be an issue if they were actually dry, but I've seen pipe sections that were 80% filled with rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back