Wheels or Rollers operating in high temperatures 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algirdas13

Mechanical
May 27, 2023
LT
Hey everyone,

Currently I'm designing a ram feeder. At the moment I'm trying to find a solution of using wheels or rollers for the ram feeder table design. The problem that I'm encountering is that ram feeder table sometimes potentially can reach up to 300 C degrees for up to 30 minutes. Most of the wheels that has bearings that I found can withstand temperatures up to 120...160 C degrees. In my situation wheels or rollers of the ram feeder table would not be rolling and would be carrying only deadweight of ram feeder table (approx. 1000 kg), while staying in the 300 C degrees temperature. The stroke of the table is approximately 800 mm. Normal operating temperature, in which table would be moving could be approximately 80 C degrees.

The question is maybe someone has encountered such or similar situation, where wheels/rollers must operate in high temperatures while keeping in mind that the design must be robust? Perhaps someone could share any experiences, advices or insights regarding this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you need to look at foundry equipment.
Graphalloy is one option, but do you really need bearings at all?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Hey guys!

Thank you for your insights and ideas those were really helpful! Graphalloy and tunnel furnaces were never a heard things for me, that was interesting to get to know something new.

These kinds of temperatures (and the resulting problems with lateral movement) are very common in the electric motor repair industry. Try looking up "burnout oven", "burn off oven", and a few manufacturers such as Steelman.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Do the bearings really need to be in the hot area or can they be moved outside of it somehow? Hard to say exactly how to do that without knowing the setup of your machine, but it's worth considering if you can just sidestep the issue altogether.

Hey!

Thanks once again for your ideas!

Stick. - at this situation I did as you are suggesting, changing the design in a way so that the wheels will not be exposed to such temperatures. Nevertheless, as everything this comes with some other compromises such as additional weight, which I tried to avoid.

Cheers guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back