When Is New WPS Required? AWS D1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose123

Structural
Mar 2, 2023
US
Hi all,

First off, I am new to the world of AWSs, PQRs, and WPQs. We have never had to approve them as we only did design and a consultant would be hired for the EDC. However, on this project we took on the EDC.

We are working with AWS D1.5. This is for groove welds.

We have a situation where we have many types of various groove weld joints that are not covered by a prequalified WPS. However, the joining method is very similar for all (same electrodes, base material, etc.). The difference is just the joint used as shown in figures 4.4 and 4.5 in AWS D1.5 (these are similar to the standard figures found by the weld symbols in AISC steel construction manual) and maybe the weld position.

From my understanding, a PQR, is the record of the welding parameters and test results which show a sound weld can be deposited. The WPS is the recipe, the instruction on how to complete each weld. Since a PQR has shown that these materials weld together properly do we need a WPS for every single joint configuration, or can a few WPSs say, in more formal language, "this welding process can be used for all the standard joint configurations"?

Hopes this makes sense.
Thanks.

Short version: Does each weld joint on the project need its own WPS or can a few groove weld WPSs cover all standard joints?

EDIT* This is for FCAW-G welding.

engineering is the science of approximation

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Goose123,
1 x PQR can give you many acceptable joint configurations.
I only have an old edition (2008) that has Table 5.3 Clauses 21, 22, 23 that gives you allowable changes to joint configuration from that originally qualified,
Cheers,
Shane

Hi DekDee,

Thank you for the information, could you post a snippet to of the table? That way I can find it back in my version.

Follow up question, can I reference the various joint configuration in one WPS or should each joint need its own WPS?

Goose123,
It is Table 5.4 in the 2015 edition (same Clause numbers).
Yes you can include all in one but remember the primary aim of a WPS is to provide guidelines to the welder / welding operator.
Make a WPS too confusing or with too much information (or not enough) and you defeat the purpose of the WPS.
Cheers,
Shane

Hi DekDee,

Thanks for all of this, much appreciated. I spent the last 3 days just reading the AWS qualification and technique clauses. Seems like I got an idea now. I went through all the welds I have on my project and saw that a few WPSs are missing and am requesting 1 WPS per each designated joint type. The chemistry is the same, we purposely used only 1 or 2 steel types through the entire project to simplify it all.

Brutal process... I also signed up for a 3 hour AWS course.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back