Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

When the message gets lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

p11100

Civil/Environmental
Jun 1, 2005
IE
A while back I was out enjoying my days annual leave, when I came across some road works on a bridge maybe ten miles from where I live. They been on going for months now but to day the road was closed completely. The trouble is I needed to get to a town the other side of the river, but with the bridge closed I would need to detour some thirty miles and drive some pretty hairy backroads. The thing that got me was there was no advanced warning sign saying bridge closed or please detour.

So I rang my local county council to high light first that the road was closed, they told we the proper paper work had been filed by the contractor doing the repairs and that appropriate detours were in place, so I duly about turned and drove some five miles back the road looking out for these notices that I was told were in place.

To my regret they were none so I rang back the council and spoke to the same person as before and said there were no signs up five miles from the works anywhere. It was then that I identified my self as a member of that same county government just to show that my observations were true and honest and that the information given out to the public was in fact untrue.

There’s where my problem started, the person I contacted must have taken personal offence to my observations and reported me to their line manager. So I was contacted by manager and asked to call and see him when I was passing.

I cannot tell you how I felt when he told me a complaint was made against me regarding my phone call. I thought I was only doing what was right in informing them of the shortcoming of others who we had contracted to do work in a safe and proper manner. I have never felt as dejected and demoralized as I did that day.
It has taught me a lesson in office politics not to care any more.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's annoying, it makes you wonder if you should have called in the first place, but now I think you should go all the way: go and see the manager and explain your valid argument. Never reward the kind of misbehavior of the person you called.

If you are a govt. member w/ any clout, you should have stopped and spoken to the boss on site. If he brushed you off, then tattle to his boss or regulatory body.

It was then that I identified my self as a member of that same county government just to show that my observations were true and honest and that the information given out to the public was in fact untrue.

Hmmm. A member of the general public is assumed to be untrue and dishonest? Seem like the county has bigger problems than missing road signage.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I think its human nature to exaggerate statements beyond what that is true.
What p11100 probably meant when he/she identified him/her self was that the account given was factual and an accurate picture of what was happening and not an emotional rant by a member of the general public.

Is it an Indian experience? These things happen regularly in India,hence ignored by most of us folks. No point ranting,as the local politicians(read goons) are hand in gloves with the contractors and officials.

Exoplanet,

Are you implying that as a non-county official (or, as a member of the general public), one is assumed to be non-factual, incapable of giving an accurate picture of what is happening, and am an emotional wreck? [ponder]

This type of problem is very common. Many people assume that the caller/customer is wrong/inexperienced/mistaken, before investigating to determine the current situation.

I had a similar problem with my builder. I was at the site and I called them to let them know that the hearth was flat, and not raised as in the plans. I was told that it is raised. I even told them that I was actually on-site and looking at it as we were talking. He assured me that my hearth was built raised. I finally called my lawyer. She called them. The site manager finally came out, took a look, and said that the hearth seems to be flat and not raised.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

p11100,

I think you may have gone astray when identifying your employment. Presumably it is not in your job description to be checking on work projects not under your control and on your day off. If your name is recognizable, then don't hide your affiliation but make sure it is understood that you are calling as an inconvenienced taxpayer and constituent, not as an employee. It worked for me.

A friend of mine was hiking on his weekend and happened to walk past the underneath of a railroad bridge. He glanced at the bridge and happened to notice some deterioration. Curiosity made him look a little bit more at it. He concluded from his observations that the bridge was in danger of collapse (He used to work as a bridge engineer earlier in his career). Like any good citizen, he called up the railroad to let them know. He was treated rather abruptly, even though he mentioned to them that his call wasn't a ploy to get business from them. After this kind of treatment, he won't bother to report things in the future that don't concern him directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back