Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When through concrete slab repair is required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan CA

Structural
Mar 10, 2018
CA
It's well known that if deteriorated area of concrete slab is larger than a certain amount, a through slab repair is required.
This criteria doesn't really convince lots of engineers. When, then, a through slab repair is required from an engineering view point?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hokie66: I think the OP is referring to 'through-thickness' (i.e. full-depth) slab repair, as opposed to partial-depth repair.

Alan CA: If the damaged area is both large (in area) AND more than 50% of slab depth, it if often then a candidate for full-depth repair - BUT this is also influenced by the technique of concrete removal.

For example, if concrete jack hammers are used and the slab is rather thin, then such a technique cannot tolerate more than about 50% of slab thickness removal without damaging the good remaining concrete.

However, is hydrodeomolition is the concrete removal technique, then you may be able to justify greater slab depth removal/repair before you consider full-depth removal and replacement.

If also depends on the type of slab: one-way, 2 way, post-tensioned (especially unbonded PT), and also temporary shoring, existing reinforcement, etc.

Also depends on the cause of the damage (water intrusion, freeze-thaw, chloride, ASR etc etc), and the expertise and experience of the contractors too.

To add to Ingenuity's good response, with thicker slabs I have encountered situations where the top 4" is removed for a top surface delamination and the bottom 3-4" is removed for a soffit delamination, leaving a thin unreinforced area. Not good (unless you are the Contractor getting paid to do the work), and a really expensive way to repair a reinforced concrete structure. Through slab repair for sure when soffit and top surface deterioration coincide.

Thank you very much for your answers.
Yes, here in Canada a full-depth slab repair is called through-slab.
The reason behind my question is that sometimes you sound the cracked slab with a hammer to hear something hollow or sense large vibration, yet the recommendation is a top surface repairs or soffit only!
Other cases involve a slab that is cracked across its depth, and still you see a recommendation of top or soffit repairs only! I'm not convinced that this should be the proper case!

Alan CA said:
Other cases involve a slab that is cracked across its depth, and still you see a recommendation of top or soffit repairs only! I'm not convinced that this should be the proper case!

A “slab cracked across its depth” - do you mean a flexural crack only, because if so, and there is no resulting spall, epoxy injection is a common repair technique, assuming the crack is dormant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back