Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When was Microstation at its best....

Status
Not open for further replies.

65Roses

Automotive
Mar 24, 2004
US
Was Microstation better off when it was under Intergrah or at Bentley? Somewhere along the way the ball was dropped by one or both companies in its competition with Autocad.

I first cut my teeth into CAD with Microstation V4 and V5. Later I learned Autocad verions comparable to V4 and V5. In my opinion Microstation was much easier to use and had better capabilities for mechanical drawings. I was greatly disappointed when I entered industry in the late 90's upon graduation from college to see how many more companies were using Autocad than Microstation.

I use Solidworks now. Its a darn shame Microstation hasn't kept up with the times concerning mechanical design.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you were Bentley would you worry about AutoCad? I know I would'nt due to the fact that Microstation controls the Civil Market. Every (almost every) D.O.T. uses Microstation. The 3-D capapilities of microstation are just as good as AutoCad. All one would have to do is impliment the software. Other softwares have been able to keep up. All I know is that City County and State Agencies use Microstation. Now Microstation can do both DWG and DGN.
Regards,
Namdac

"namdac" - cool name, edud.

Bentley is worried about AutoDesk's Revit cornering the market on BIM (source: a bunch of white papers by Greg Bently and others on the Bentley website).

If it's true (and I suspect it is) that Bentley's big civil package, InRoads, and whatever accompanies it is tops in civil, then Bentley has a fighting chance. I have seen plenty of DOT websites and they do seem to have lots of MicroStation detail available for download, lending me to believe that they're all behind Bentley's products.

I'm a MicroStation user, though not civil. My office is about to go full speed ahead with BIM and we're sticking with MicroStation. Those of us who actually have to use the program (not the managers with the "vision") are concerned a bit because Bentley's BIM offering is a series of spearate program packages linked together, unlike Revit. Our concern stems from the need for our IT office to maintain the license server for all these programs.

Dave,
The IT department needs to start earning their keep. The manuals are layed out so your IT people should be able to understand. The settings menu allows you the user to set where you want Microstation to go look in the right place.
Regards,
Namdac

I'm not speaking about the Civil market. I'm speaking in terms of the mechanical market. Why did Bentley not focus on the mechanical market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back