Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where are all the super-efficient lasers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geneiusxie

Aerospace
Mar 10, 2013
US
Are blue/green/red lasers more efficient than LEDs? I have read documents stating that VCSELs (a type of vertical chip laser) convert 66% of electrical energy to light - compared to about 33% for the most efficient white LEDs. The only problem is whenever I google actual VCSELs for sale, they're always designed for data transmission so they have really low output power and efficiency - more like 6% or so (at least, according to my crude calculations.)

So where can I buy any of the super-efficient and lasers these people keep writing about? Digikey and Mouser don't really have many in stock (at least not for a low price)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It doesn't much matter, does it? Visible lasers have to less than 1 mW of output power to be compliant to ANSI Z136.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

I'd like to be able to make a super efficient LCD backlight using laser diodes instead of LEDs. Would sure make our mobile devices have better battery life.

I asked here because someone pointed me to this forum. Where should I be asking this question?

If you want your battery to last longer, turn off your GPS and location services

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back