Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where Can i buy a tunable Dye Laser? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stgeorgeskid

Civil/Environmental
Apr 19, 2003
US
I neeed help to find three diferent colored dye lasers for a experiment about which wavelengths travel farthest through water, also if anyone could tell me where to purchase a collector so that I could measure the decrease in energy through the experiment. Thank you I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This sort of data has around for over 20 years and is available in a number of textbooks.

Have you done a websearch for dye lasers?

By collector, I assume that you're referring to a "detector". There are a number of suppliers with websites. What path length you use will dictate the type of detector and the degree of difficulty. Have you considered how you intend to calibrate all this stuff?

TTFN

IRstuff---
thank you
I am VERY new to lasers and do mean detector, and i have found suitable lasers but am still searching for a Detector, if you have any companies that you could point out i would be very grateful.
thanks again.

As I indicated, detector selection depends exclusively on the dynamic range and ultimate sensitivity required. You've given almost no information about the path length or amount of power involved. This leaves open using anything from PIN detectors to photomulitplier tubes.

There is also some question as to the validity of using a laser, since the scattering coefficient for water is extremely high. This means that probably 99% of the transmitted energy will not reach any detector you could possibly configure; is that allowed?

Transmission is a very non-trivial measurement and you should get someone a little more knowledgeable to ensure that you're doing it right and doing the right thing in general.

TTFN

OK thank you for your input, the experiment is just a high school science project using 5mw lasers through tubes of 1 2 and 3 meters.
Thanks again, i will try to find someone thank you though.

Your lens will need to be large enough to capture all the light going through the tube. That's something you can get from Edmund Scientific as well.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back