Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I find a good overview for popular coating materials and methods? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gao7857

Mechanical
Aug 16, 2010
US
Thanks.
I am new to coating materials and methods. But our product has recent need to get new coating material and method. So I am trying to get myself educated a little more besides my basic chemistry and polymer knowledge. Our product is zinc galvanized steel part.
There are so many coating materials and methods existing. I am trying to find a good overview (such as a link or a link to the pdf, ppt) of the popular methods and the method's major material. It will be greater to know about the cost differences, quality difference, etc. between the methods, too.

Thanks,
Young

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hm, some good reading would be:

"Corrosion Prevention by Protective Coatings" by Chuck Munger and Lou Vincent

then

"Protective Coatings, Fundamentals of Chemistry and Composition" by Clive Hare

If you make your way through those, head for

"Paint Film Degradation, Mechanisms and Control" by Clive Hare

TomDOT,
Thanks for your suggestion! It is quite good a series of reading after reading the descriptions. I was trying to find the table of contents of the books but cannot find it for any one of them.
Is the book written by the author in chapters systematically? or is edited by the author from a collection of journals and publications or others?

I was able to find some online files for introductions to coating and corrosion. So I am thinking of buying the 2nd one or the 3rd one your recommended, as we buy formulated coating material and apply it in our plant to zinc galvanized metal pipes. There has been some quality issues and the small supplier cannot help much with it, so we are evaluating new materials/suppliers and also think about better process quality controls internally.

Young,

Young,

They are all written systematically in chapters, with a decent-to-good index.

If you haven't found it already, have a look at PaintSquare.com

The big societies for paint and corrosion are NACE (originated mostly from oil industry), SSPC (originated mostly from steel buildings) and the American Coatings Association (which ate the FSCT, a collection of local societies.)

Most standards are from NACE, SSPC or ASTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back