Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where can I find data to approximate coef of friction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loquillo

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2004
US
I'm modeling a safety brake for an elevator and is kind of difficult to measure the coefficient in such a thight area. The rail contains brown rust and the approximate load applied by the brakes would be 10,000 lbs. I have search a couple of approximations but I don't know how much does the rust affect the friction coef.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A safety-related item like this must have experimental determination of friction coefficient. This property varies so much that using data derived from other applications (with different environmental conditions, materials properties, etc.) is not suitable.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Is the rust likely to get polished off once the elevator is in service? If so it would be more conservative to measure coeff of friction on a polished rail.

Jeff

Why don't you assume the polished condition anyway to give you a conservative answer, since it is obvious that the rusted state would have a greater coefficient?

Rust forms most of the time under influence of moisture. Wet, rusted steel can ben very 'slippery'under load, since the water is retained by the rust. Steel is liable to have condensation on the surface. I agree with CoryPad, try to test it!

Regards,
Pekelder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back