Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I find some aluminum extrusion like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superart

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2009
US
I hope this question is in the right forum, I looked through all the forums, and this one seems like the most relevant.

I am working on a project for a client, and am trying to fabricate a triangular column out of standard 1/8" thick 4x8 acrylic sheets. It will be an equilateral triangle. I have attached a couple images to illustrate what I am planning on doing.

The budget is tight, so I am hoping to use off the shelf standard components.

My question is, does anyone know where/if I can find some standard 60° extrusions that look like the one in my image?

Also, I am looking for some U-channel that an 1/8" thick panel can slide into.

I've looked on McMaster, OnlineMetals, SpeedyMetals, and googled a bunch, but couldn't find anything that would fit what I am trying to do. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appereciate it.

Thanks,
--Art.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Extrusion image doesn't open for me.

How do you transport the assembly?

How much axial load do you expect it to support?
It will be pretty wobbly.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

OK, I re-uploaded the file, hopefully it will work now.

I do not expect too much axial load, but I will take measures to make it not so wobbly. That is what the u-channel will be for. I plan on making a triangular frame that will go on the top and bottom edges, and bolt into each corner. If it still has a wobble after that, I can use some tie-rods from top to bottom to stiffen it some more.

Do you think that should be sufficient? If not, what would you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0bd0b715-f6c6-4e85-8cba-8d08cd30e63a&file=ExtrusionChannel_60deg.JPG
Absent any idea what it's supposed to do, or support, I can't declare it 'sufficient', or not.
That's not what we do here.
That's what you do, there.

I'm thinking piano hinge, but that always comes out ugly.

Macarco used to sell a really nice geared hinge, that looked decent enough to use in a product. I did use it, but I don't remember the leaf interface details.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

It wont have to support anything, it just has to stand there and look pretty. That's why I initially decided to shy away from piano hinges. It really only needs to be able to support its own weight and moderate wind loads. Also, the client wants it to be easy to set up and tear down for transport, which is another reason why I decided to not go with the piano hinges.

I'm really suprised that this type of extrusion is so hard to find. I'm basically looking for extrusion with the same or similar profile as the grey K'nex pieces.

You can get any extrusion you can dream up if you buy 5000 lb or so, and pay a couple grand or so for a die.

If you don't need quite that much, you could get something milled from bar stock.

I used to know a sheet metal guy who could fold something equivalent from say .030 aluminum in a press brake, but I'm pretty sure he retired decades ago. Maybe you can find someone equally talented.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

What you seem to want to make, in the parlance of the trade as I understand it, is a triangular tower showcase. Thinking about that, there wouldn't be much market for such a thing because of the ratio of shelf space to exterior envelope space.

However, there is a market for hexagonal tower showcases. You could make one with three wide sides and three really narrow sides, using an extrusion that may be available, like this:

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions.

What I wound up doing is changing my design to eliminate the need for the metal channels. Instead of going with a triangular shape, I went with a "box" shape and was able to just use acrylic sheets and solvent-weld them together at right angles. I wound up making a box that is 18"x48"x4". It was made up of 4 18"x24" panels that I solvent-welded together.

It turned out pretty not-bad, despite my mediocre fabrication skills. I'll try to post up some pictures when I get back to the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back