Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where can I find telecommuting job (FEA simulations) ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1FEA1engineer

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2008
PL
Where can I find telecommuting job (FEA simulations) ? I was trying monster.com, dice.com, juju.com and few others without any success. What can you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for reply!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

google all the companies that you think do that kind of stuff and send your resume. dont waste your time with monster.com . Sometimes you can see list of companies on a society website like ASME or something.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

Do you have your own FEA software? You might do contract work, which is probably appealing for some companies that can't afford a full-time FEA person.

You might consider looking at signing on with a job-shop.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

An opinion.

FEA carried out miles away from the designers and other engineers involved is no different from FEA carried out by a 3D modelling/CAD package. It adds no value.

- Steve

A few comments an opinions.
1. Suggest you try consulting. The comment regarding being able to sell yourself is a key point.
2. I disagree that FEA carried out miles away or by a CAD package adds no value. Additionally, since you said you were looking for a job, I would contend that whether value is added or not is irrelavent. It could be argued that many people at many companies add no value yet that get paid good salaries each week.

So you want to be a direct employee but work from home, from the get go? This may be a bit of a tall order.

Visiting the job websites isn't of no value but is limited, I got my current position from a resume I'd posted on one. I also got an interview at another place the same way. However I don't think I ever heard back from any places I actually applied to via one of the job sites. Likewise a lot of larger companies have online applications, I didn't hear back from most of those.

I got my first job by sending off resumes blind to companies listed in a relevant trade directory. To my mind this is similar to the google approach (so long as your search is targetted). So I might have to disagree slightly with Greg and say it's not useless but is limited, a lot will go straight into the round filing cabinet. At least try and get a name or failing that a job title. Just sending it blindly to HR will probably be the least effective.

Take a look at the EDD or equivalent website. Basically the govt unemployement office/agency. While they aren't typically overflowing with Engineering positions they have some.

Knowing someone, or someone who knows someone is usually a good way.

Sompting, I wouldn't say no value but I would think it's got issues.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I have been through an entire FEA program, from geometry definition, through to correlation with real world tests, all while I was sat at home listening to the radio and whatever else the attractions are of telecommuting.

So it can be done. But notice, I was project managing the whole thing. If you just want to be able to import a solid model, press automesh, apply some boundary constraints and loads, press analyse, prepare shiny screen shots... there are a million people in India who can do exactly the same. Some of them will have written the software as well.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Like Greg, I too work from home and have done the full FEA thing for some years now. I am now in my 2nd job basically doing the same thing. I have been able to do this because I am a scare skill in my locality and wont move house. How did I find these positions ? Well the first one was via a friend in a pub who was engaged in friendly converstaion with a mate (honest !) and the 2nd was via an internet job agency and references were taken up from the first company on my home working ethic. So it can be done, each circumstance is probably unique, there is no one place to go to in order to find these positions and you often have to negotiate for it (happened in both of my cases).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back