Where did you learn Pro E? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

toro45

Electrical
Dec 16, 2003
US
Hello,

I am an electrical design engineer, who would like to learn Pro E. I know Autocad and Micro Station and I sense these cad programs are quite different from Pro E. I would like to know what the differences are and how did you actually learn using the software. I am looking for classes in the Philadelphia, PA region, it will be appreciated if anyone can suggest a school that has Pro E classes.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pro/E works in a slightly different way.

It is a 3D program, while ACAD and MicroStation are mostly used for 2D design.

Pro/E is a parametric program, while other two aren't.

I learnt to use Pro/E at university in France and Canada.

Cyril Guichard
Mechanical Engineer

I learnt it by just using it with various tutorials that I obtained on the internet. I didn't find it particularly difficult to pick up.

Jeff

:)

It's all part of life's rich tapestry!

Hello,

If you are already conversant with CAD, although 2D, you should be able to learn Pro-E quite easily, as you are still drawing (sketching) 2d to obtain the 3D effect. We had a PTC guy come in, for free, and go through the training manual in a couple of days. This gave us a good starting point.

----------------------------------
Hope this helps.
----------------------------------

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

I would seriously look into learning another 3D CAD package such as SolidWorks or SolidEdge. They are every bit as powerful as WildFire and much, much more user friendly.

I realize this will set peoples blood boiling in this forum, but having used all these packages I'm making an educated statement.

I agree with you rockguy, but from what I understand, our friend toro doesn't have choice for his CAD package...

Cyril Guichard
Mechanical Engineer Consultant
France

I was working in UG at a place where I had both Pro/E and UG available. I learned Pro/E from books by Louis Gary Lamit and Roger Toogood. I checked Amazon.com, and the particular books I used are out of print (c. 1999, probably outdated). However, there are more recent offerings by these same authors.

[bat]"When everyone is thinking alike, no one is thinking very much." --Eckhard Schwarz (1930--2004)[bat]

If your intent is to learn Pro/E then then do it by either buying a good book (Tick listed two authors that have current offerings) or take a class at a community college. I can't speak for Philadelphia, PA region but here in California their are several community colleges that offer Pro/E classes. I would not suggest just trying to learn it on the fly unless you have someone to tutor you because Pro/E is much more then putting lines on the screen. I did the sink or swim method on version 13 because my company was to cheap to send us engineers to training. But once you learn the basic skills then it's just a matter of building upon them by working with the more advanced features and functionality. Good luck and remember you have this forum as a knowledge base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back