Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where do mech-E salaries top out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dextermech

Mechanical
Dec 24, 2004
US
Sure this question is broad and it's easy to reply by saying it's broad, but if we ignored the broadness for a moment, where are most mech-E salaries topping out these days? Let's assume you're not management, never will be, just a topped out engineer.

$80,000? $90,000, $100,000+?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, they do hand in hand. The reason someone is made a fellow is usually because he is a strong contributor and therefore gets the commensurate compensation. At my company, Fellows don't get extra salary.

TTFN

Thanks for the info, but correct me if I'm wrong, the average ME even if he's a great ME, should not *realistically* expect to be making $170k, and in reality getting over $100k might be hard for most...

dextermech,

Have you done a search of the differen engineering society/association of each state? They usually have a web site and post their salary survey.

These are usually broken down by industry, and years from graduation, and level of experience, and etc. Some even have multiple curves, such as years of experience and level of responsibility.

Figures are usually given as D1 D25 Median D75 D90.

Is this more what you are looking for?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Principle fellows are exceptional people. 20 years of experience, may hold a PHd in Mechanical Engineering, got into cutting edge technology that is sought after today…etc. According to the department of labor top 10% back in 2005 earned 98K

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

I doubt the guy who earns 170k got that job because he "strived" for the money.

I rather hope he gets that because he strives to be a good engineer.

FWIW in Australia our range is about the same, 110 for normal mechanical engineers, rather more than that for very senior guys, or those who work in mining or oil.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Let me add a new twist here...I am 29 years old. Now age alone SHOULD not mean anything, but...at the end of the day, I am still 29 years old...

In my world just about everyone with 10+ years of experience makes over $100K US. Many individual contributers with only a BSME make $150 or more..

But you guys will tell me that is not realistic, and of course thats just the oil/petrochem business. Of course everyone will be laid off before long.

I would however disagree.....

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

It's inevitable that if you keep doing the same thing year after year, you reach a peak value to your company and to your industry as a whole. At the 20 year mark, adding another 10 years of the same thing to your resume isn't going to see your salary grow the same rate it did in the first 10 years. At some point, if you ain't willing to branch out or change roles, you'd just better be happy with cost of living increases and maybe the odd bonus.

On the other hand, you might pick a specialization that goes through a desperate skills shortage and you can cash in - this site has a few people who've found themselves at the 10+ year point in their career and find themselves in great demand.

My advice is that staying a mech engineer all your career should be done because you like the job, not because you want to get rich. If money's your goal, start now and you could be a hedge fund manager in 10 years.

Moral - if you must bang your head against a brick wall, find a wall you like.

LewTam Inc.
Petrophysicist, Leading Hand, Natural Horseman, Prickle Farmer, Crack Shot, Venerable Yogi.

I think they are all spotty. I did notice that engineersalry.com was limited on its categories and didn't include the option for a PE license, which can affect salary in some instances.

Perhaps it all fluctuates due to local economies, industry sector changes, etc....

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back