Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Where do you look for jobs? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigaWatt

Electrical
Jul 15, 2002
US
I'm currently in a decent position, however I'm getting married in six months and sometime in the next year I would like to find a position that better fits my long term goals. Currently I'm only looking at monster.com and careerbuilder.com, but I feel like they likely represent much less than half of the jobs that are available.

Any tips? Thanks for any information!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get your resume posted on your own web page. Make sure it has meta and robot keywords properly utilized in it, as well (these help search engines find and index your file). For good measure, enter your resume's exact web address into Yahoo! and Google periodically to force their hand a little.

I do get a few nibbles from recruiters who found my resume on my web site.

I just tested, BTW. When I entered keywords "{my first name} {my last name} resume" on Google, my resume was at the top of the list.

[bat]I could be the world's greatest underachiever, if I could just learn to apply myself.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

JigaWatt,

One good way to get a job in consulting engineering is to reference the American Consulting Engineer's Council directory. I'm not sure where you can get your hands on it - but they have a directory for the US with each state listed seperately and each firm listed.

The firm information includes address, phone numbers, size of the company, ownership type, project types, and names of principles.

So you can use this to send out letters/resumes to identified companies that use your particular discipline. Many times, suggesting in a letter of introduction that you will be in their city on such-and-such a date and would like to discuss career opportunities is a good way to get in the door with good firms (most ACEC firms are good quality). There will be, of course, lots of rejects as many firms may not need staff at the present.

Also, you can peruse their websites to see if they are posting any job openings....so the directory is a good place to start.

Monster, CareerBuilder, etc., don't show ALL the jobs that are out there. They appear to be very good "guages" for the overall hiring market, though. For many odd / political / sensitive / amoral / legitimate / unfathomable / good reasons, companies use recruiters to find candidates.

Personally I have never had a good experience with recruiters, but they seem to have the inside line on who's looking to fill the "nicer" positions not found on the mass-market internet postings.

My two most succesful stategies were (1) networking at local professional meetings and (2) call up a company direct, work through the gatekeepers to get to the decision maker, and ask if (s)he has any openings.

TygerDawg

Here's a good place to look over the temporary job world. the site references lots of "shops". Sometimes the easyway into a company is through a "shop" or a tmep agency. You get ot show them how good you are, they don't have to take a risk.

From my canned e-mail to anyone I know looking for work.
===============================================

list of webpages
two big ones that do not advertise so you may not know them are.

Also professional associations like SAE, ASME etc are get

DOL info on salaries
ftp://quicksource.dol.state.ga.us/Occupational_Information/Wage_Survey_Data/2000_Ga_Wage_Survey/

most webpages let you save a search and have the results emailed to you daily. If you are just redoing the same search constantly this can be great. (somepages are better than other about his service. Do not really on it entirely)

!!!!!!!!1importnat!!!!!!!!!!!
Update your resume on web pages often. recruiters look at the newest ones first.

ProEpro

Pro/E FAQ

Thanks a lot for the tips everyone, I've found several new leads thanks to your suggestions.

HVAC68, you said nothing works better than networking. Do you have an suggestions on how to find the right people to talk to? I feel like I can present myself pretty good face to face. In the past when I get an interview I have recieved an offer for the job. I'm a fairly young engineer though, and don't know a huge number of other engineers in the area. Do you have any suggestions on how to get in touch with the right people?

Again, thanks everyone!

Another area you may want to check into is your local (or where you want to live) listing for jobs. Usually, any major city will have a website for that area. Some companies do not list on monster and career as they want a local person for the job.

For example, Charlotte NC has It may not be great, but at least it lists more companies that you can contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back