Where the report 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

windseaker1

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2009
US
Hi all,
General question about building seismic report, where is the first place to go for information on a commercial or industrial, or institutional seismic building report??
Now I have O&M and as-built from construction several years ago and I have scanned O&M's and drawings pretty good with shallow results like pipe hanger support ISAT and ICBO Reports.
But no real building reports the will stand as a building report with Seismic information.
All I have found is a consistent Seismic Design Category "D" for equipment and no building info.
Any help is good help.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What exactly are you looking for? Sds, Sd1, etc.? How old is the building? The basic structural information should be shown in the structural drawings somewhere.

Well, I was hoping that after a structural seismic upgrade to a building structure that there would a certification with a real final report on what was done and what was not done with a final structural rating.
I am not sure at all as to where this would be found like on the drawings or in a report or even a commissioning report. Just not sure where or what I would find. I am tasked to find out.
Maybe a final report saying or certifying the building is:
Site is IBC class C
Structures are IBC class D

Any ideas?

Any building upgrades, seismic or otherwise, are typically shown on drawings and are not described in a formal report unless specifically requested by the client (which is not typical). The only "certification" would be the engineer's seal on the drawings that the upgrade was designed in accordance with the parameters noted on the drawing. What are the "classes" you are referring to? (There is a Site Class and a Seismic Design Category that should be noted on drawings). What sort of "structural rating" are you expecting to find? By looking at the design loads and parameters on the drawings, one should easily be able to tell what the building has or has not been designed for.

MotoCity
Thank you, you have shed some light on the subject.
I have seen some "Structural Calculations" reports that do show a Seismic Forces ASCE 7-05 Site Class D with a BLDG Frame of .123 = V/W = p x Cs. This was in the "Design Criteria" of the Structural Calculation report.
My very vague understanding is that there is a "Site Class" rating (A-F) and a "Structural Class" design rating (A-F). This is a Seismic rating I am referring to. I did not know that Drawing included them as well and will start back checking them.

If we were to have our building selected as a designated "Safe Zone" for emergency operations would this require a completed Seismic report to be eligible or just the collected drawings would be enough?

Thank you

What is so wrong with a check and balance system! Money vs Life

It's not a rating like you would be typically used too. The site class is a classification of the soil, it is not a rating of the building. The seismic design category A-F is classification of buildings based on the shaking, soil and occupancy. If you wish to change the occupancy category to one that is higher, a new review of the building would be required. The occupancy category is closer to what you are looking for, it should be shown on the structural drawings as well. The occupancy category groups, as an example a barn falls under occupancy cat. 1, and is not designed the same as a house, occupancy cat. 2. An emergency shelter is the highest occupancy cat. If you have the calculations it should have the company on it give the engineer a call. We like when people change things means we can charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back