Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to but used/refurbished machinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

pphawk

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2006
EC
Hi, I want to travel to USA in order to buy a milling machine and a lathe. I have been looking for a good machinery seller but just a few ones give warranty for the machinery. Could any one of you give some advice about where to buy (used/refurbished) machinery, any state is fine. I would prefer Bridgeportor or Rong Fu for the milling machine;'and hardinge or monarch for the lathe. Which brands do you think are good... Any good shop that refurbished these brands?
Any help is welcomed, thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why travel here to buy a machining tool you will need to ship back overseas?

There are many refurbished and used tool sellers here, but seems like you're adding a substantial travel and shipping expense for a heavy piece of tooling. Export taxes/import taxes in your own country?

Do you need to inspect it before buying?

I live in Ecuador, and the machinery here is very expensive (and Chinese)I have a limited budget so it is better and cheaper if I buy them in US. Do you know amy warranted refurbished machinery seller?

Well, back in the 2010 election I recal a Meg Whitman commercial where she was touting her business experience etc. and the guy on it ran a company refurbishing used US equipment and selling it abroad - so such places exist but I can't remember any details sorry.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Hit up google and start searching for what you want.. Most have listings of all the equipment they have..
"used industrial machinery" is the term I'd start searching for..

I'm a big fan of "Auction" sites for that kind of stuff.. We've picked up plenty of stuff for $10 cents on the dollar or less..
I use the following (most are circuit board related but usually every company has a mill or lathe on there too..)

dovebid
the branford auction group
xline assets

Believe it or not... Craigslist. I see a lot coming and going through there. A lot of refurbishing companies list their products there. Some sell used as-is that may or may not NEED refurbishing. Warranties, though, you'll obviously only get through commercial refurb places.

Good luck - please, if you find some good leads, it might be helpful to post your experience here, if you remember to. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back