Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to buy oval point set screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry767

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2004
CA
Hello,

My company manufactures and repairs large industrial centrifuges. We are always looking for unusual sizes and configuration of set screws. For example, where can I buy 7/8" or larger oval point set screws? We use these for jack bolts on some of our components. Most companies stop at 3/4". Today I am looking for 7/8" X 1-3/8" dog point set screws and am getting nowhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Larry Jorgenson
Andritz Bird
Saskatoon, SK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is what mjvail.com had to say:

Dear Larry,

Thank you for your inquiry. However, we would not have any set screws in a dog or oval point in the sizes you require.

Thank you,

M.J. Vail Co.

Any other ideas?

If you have a machine shop handy, you may just need to turn the tips of an existing set screw to whatever configuration you need. We do it all the time with SHCS and other hardware. Good Luck.

If you are looking for garden variety carbon steel in either hex socket or square head styles, I've had good luck with my local acklands.We use square head jacking screws frequently and they seem to be on the shelf up to 1"NC.
Call 306 664 5534. ( Saskatoon tech )

7/8" x 1.5 socket head p/n pfssssc78-112

7/8" x 4 square head p/n pfssssqc78-4

If you are looking for SS or specials, I have a vendor in Vancouver who is very good at finding "odd balls".
I'm not at the shop now, but I'll check back later when I can get the number for you.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back