Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to fine spline dimensions? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

enginesrus

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2003
US
Looking for aircraft propeller shaft spline dimensions, especially the major diameter, for #50, #60, #63, #70.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The largest outside diameter of the splines on the shaft. Its really a very simple thing to understand. I have had zero luck searching for the information. The # numbers are the SAE aircraft prop shaft spline numbers. I really don't know how to ask, so you could understand it.
For large propeller installations the propellers are linked to the shaft by way of splines. And these shafts come in some of the various sizes that I have posted. Please tell me how I can ask this in a more understandable way?

From
"The sizes of splined shafts are identified by an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) number, SAE 20 splines are used on engines in the 200-horsepowered range; SAE 30 splines are used in the 300- and 400-horsepowered range, and SAE 40 in the 500- and 600-horsepowered range. SAE 50 in the 1,000-horsepowered range and SAW (sic) 60 and 70 are used for larger engines"

I'm curious as other references suggest #60 was used on Wright Cyclone engines. Are you building a B-17?

I would guess the following couple of of Mil-specs contain the data (well at least to know what the SAE doc probably contains).
AND10529 PROPELLER HUBS-STANDARD DIMENSIONS FOR INVOLUTE TOOTH SPLINE CONTROLLABLE PITCH
AND10530 PROPELLER HUBS-STANDARD DIMENSIONS FOR STRAIGHT TOOTH SPLINE CONTROLLABLE PITCH

They can be found here

Also... FYI...

AND10152 Shaft Ends - Propeller

NOTE. General involute spline dimensions: there are a few very specific 'other specs' for those.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back