Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to get pliers manufactured

Status
Not open for further replies.

beegw

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2010
US
Does anyone know a vendor that makes custom pliers or channel locks. I have a design, but not sure who is a good drop forge manufacturer. A lot of google searching shows companies that sell pliers. Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could try some university workshop facility ,who might have a drop forge hammer.

I would go with a machined prototype to prove the proof of concept to potential marketers. All tool companies used to have a group who evaluated outside tools under a confidentially or non compete type agreement. The tool manufacturing companies got the message to be up front after the lawsuit over the quick release mechanism on ratchet wrenches. You will need a tool manufacturer to get the best distribution of the finished pliers unless they can be promoted over TV with an infomercial.

I would check with some one like the maker of Crescent Tools as to whether they consider outside designs. I've also heard that Sears has changed their ways for the better.
If this a true breakthrough in design you will have to get lawyer involved as the handshake doesn't work anymore..
It is not simple anymore.

Watchout about going blindly to China as you can get ripped off as soon as they check your design prints. Normally you will need a representive in China to protect you interest.

Don't even think about going to China. I am beginning to detect arrogance and disrespect when dealing with the Chinese. There are 'korean' agents floating around looking to buy out companies. The buy out offer is a ploy to pick your brains and proceed without you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back