Which ANSI or ASME code to apply to my touchless external faucet adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadovanML

Industrial
May 20, 2015
RS
Greetings!
I have freelance project for US client (I am from Europe) to design touchless external faucet adapter similar to this one
I have drafted concept and client approved it. I plan to use plastic material for adapter body, inside will be pilot operated solenoid valve (with diaphragm ), plastic also.
He had provided me with following design requirements:
Pmax=60psi (~400KPa)
Tmax=40C (104F)
Now I need to do detail (CAD) design and I have researched for relevant code that rules design of this product. I had find this two certification companies:
They introduced following codes:
ASME A112.18.1-2005/CSA B125.1-05 Plumbing supply fittings
NSF ANSI 14 – 2012 NSF_14-12 Plastics piping system components
On my surprise ASME A112 suggested that:
Supply fittings shall be designed for a rated supply pressure of 690 kPa (100 psi).
Supply fittings shall be designed for rated supply temperatures from 5 to 71 °C (40 to 160°F).

I have few questions now, please give me advice on this:
1. Does this product need to be certified for US market?
2. Since adapter will be mounted on faucet in bathroom, do I need it comply with requirements for drinking water? Logically not, but if you have kids, who can say they will not drink water while washing teeth or similar. So I think it should be considered as for drinking water.
3. If certification is needed, can you tell me how should I classify it according to ASME A112.18.1-2005/CSA B125.1-05 Plumbing or NSF ANSI 14 – 2012 NSF_14-12 or other relevant code – standard.
4. Is there any other code that rules design of this product that I should take in consideration.

Way I see it I have to follow this guidelines for pressure and temperature ratings but I need to be sure before I inform my client about this.
Is there any way around this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back