Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which computer language is useful for industrial engineers? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

destructive

Industrial
Apr 30, 2001
IR
Dear friends,

I am industrial engineer.I think that it is important and
useful to master one of famous programming languages.
But the problem is that I don't know which program to
choose.
Pascal or C or C++ or delphi or basic or visual basic....?

If you know which program is suitable for industrial
engineers please advise me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

VB is quite a handy tool. Many applications include VB editors and macro programming capabilities. These include Excel, Word, Access, AutoCAD, SolidWorks ... I guess it really depends on what you plan on doing. VB is probably a good start because it is relatively simple and easy to use. Once you have a good feel for VB, most of the other languages will be easier to learn. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Well, when I was at the university studying IE, they thought that FORTRAN 77 would be helpful. Unfortunately, they were wrong. As I was close to graduation, I believe they started to teach C++. But I would think that knowing VisualBasic would be quite helpful from all aspects of engineering. Hope that helps :)

JeffdlS

We use VB for everything; it's nice and easy.
It we get a real tricky job, we get the computer techies on it using Perl or C.
At my Uni they were convinced we'd need Pascal....I've never used it once.

The key to selecting a language is to answer this question - What are you planning on doing with the language?

While you can use one language for everything, you loose a lot of effiency. For example a VB program to control a robot would be 80 to 90 pages in length while a FORTH program maybe only 10 pages.

For math calculation that you can handle with excel or MathCad the Fortran would be a good choice.

For programming controls and robotics (low level programming) the interactiveness of FORTH make it idea for fast prototyping and troubleshooting in the field, but I must grant that the learning curve is steep.

For connecting systems together and large programs then C++ is a better choice.

If you are working with excel, access and words files in a windows envirnomnet then VB would be great.

If the work is over the net or on various machine with different operating systems or different microprocessor families then JAVA is probally needed.

I have to agree with a prior post that it depends on what you intend to do.

If you plan to get into machining then you would need to be well versed in a CNC language. If you plan to get into simulation you need one to become an expert in the simulation packages.

You may want to rethink your question. Do you want to learn one of the 'great programming languages' or do you want to become a 'great industrial engineer'? One approach views the ability to program as the end point, the other considers programming as just another tool.

With the proliferation and ease of software packages designed by computer programmers to meet the requirements of engineers, the ability to learn how to best use a program is probably more important to an engineer than the ability to program. This is especially important given the short lifespan of most computer languages and even many software packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back