Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which field of electrical would you rather work in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EE123

Electrical
Mar 21, 2006
US
I am about to graduate from school with MSEE. As Far as the job options are concerned, I have a choice between a government/militry job (ex. SPAWAR, San Diego), a high tech company (ex. Qualcomm), or a private MEP Consulting firms (Which by the way is owned by my relative). If you had choose one, which one would you take a job with?
Which one has more job security/room to improve and better future?

I just want to know what you guys think based on your experiance. which one would you pick?

thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you learn the military stuff well, you can go just about anywhere later. I would start with military work for a few years, then move on.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

I go with who ever is paying me more.

It's your first job. Once you get into it, you will figure out what you like/dislike and all that. In the mean time, might as well make some money.

:)

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

What is your specialty?

Do you actually want to work in your specialty?

Do you care?

What do you see yourself leaping out of bed each morning to go do?

Can you see yourself still doing that 20 yrs from now?

I graduated EE and thought I would be designing ICs. Never did and actually haven't done anything EE on the job for nearly 20 years.

TTFN

Everyone has equal access to your 3 choices, except for the private firm. See if there is a better deal in it for both of you. If you are sure you can pull your own weight this would be one area where you have a foot in the door.

Second choice wil be MIL related. If you have contacts there and knowledge of the area, then this is even a better idea.

Personally I would rather to work for a high tech company, but as you said I have learned that what you want to do is not what you will end up doing. I like anything to do with engineering, so it does not really matter. In school I am more focused on embedded systems. I am considering the MEP Consulting because it would be easier for me to open my own company in future as MEP Consulting rather than some high tech industry. Also to me MEP seems to be more stable, because it can not be outsourced. (This could be true for military too).

Working for a relative is a double-edged sword. While there's the obvious access to the inner circle, your ability to access that inner circle may be perceived negatively by coworkers as having a shortcut and undeserved status. Additionally, your relative may likewise take advantage of the relationship and demand things from you that he wouldn't demand from a regular worker.

Imagine working for your father...

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back