Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which masters degree should I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajafri90

Materials
May 25, 2012
I have done my bachelors in Materials Engineering from
Pakistan. Now I am planning to do masters from UK and I have got two offers i.e: MSC OIL and GAS engineering from University of Aberdeen or MSC New & Renewable Energy from durham university. I am confused between these two. Which one should I go for? Whose future prospects are more bright? Oil and Gas or Renewable energy degree?? Please help me

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which industry do you want to work in?

This is the biggest (and most obvious) question. No one here can tell you the answer.

As for the prospects of each industry, oil and gas has it's ups and downs and renewables are growing rapidly but like anything that booms, it can have a pretty sharpe decline. However, and this is me talking, I feel that the technological development of renewables will be an increasingly important area of focus.

Also, with any boom, there are a lot of band wagon jumpers. This includes a TON of start ups that will fail, while some will prosper (think .com boom). This also includes universities that jump on the surge of students looking to take degrees in the next big thing. Talk to people that have taken the program and ask them what they thought of the degree.

Renewable energy degrees are quite varied from university to university. Some focus on distribution, others on generation (and more specifically wind or solar or tidal etc.), others on policy and others on environmental aspects. Make sure that the university has a focus in an area you are interested in. The same comment applies to any degree really, as both "renewable energy" and "oil and gas" are very broad terms.

The final answer to your question will not come from market conditions or the world economy. It will come from inside your gut. What turns you on? How do you want to spend your life? If your work is just a way to make a living you will be an unhappy person. Your work should fascinate you. That is where you be happiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back