Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

which material is better for making a hand lapping plate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atpcoltd

Mechanical
Oct 22, 2012
NL

hi every body , could u please let me and help me know,which material of hand lapping plate is more better and can use for lapping of material like tungsten carbide ,silicon carbide and carbon ?

i searched on the net and saw there are 2 types of material for hand lapping plates :
1-composite plate and cast iron plates ,now by your exepirience please let me know which of these material are better than other one?

Thanks in advanced

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used cast iron plates before but when lapping TC and SI you need to charge the plate with diamond paste and diamond liquid. You may need 2 plates rougher and finisher. Rougher say 10 micron finisher say 3 micron.

I think the composite plate you refer to is a plate that is diamond impregnated. It is like a 3mm biscuit that sticks on plate.

If you are doing a lot of lapping then this will take a long time to achieve flatness. Really depends on what you using this for. I hope that you will be checking the flatness after you Lap. It's very important to keep the hand lapping plates flat or else you be end up in trouble.

Cheers

Thanks of your fast reply , please let me know how can i make a lapping plate made of cast iron rough and one for finishing ,i mean how can i do the surface of them make rough or flat ?
i should say i have tools of checking the light bands so i can do it with hand lapping ,and its no make difference for me use cast iron or composite so if you think we can use of cast iron plate then we can make it and use it ,
but as i asked on my another posts ,i do not know the size of deep and thickness of serrations on the cast iron plate ?
please let me know
tahnks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back