Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which revision of the Code to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWIC

Specifier/Regulator
Feb 14, 2003
US
Hi everyone. I asked the following question recently at a meeting with several engineers and building officials. There were mixed opinions regarding this subject.

Problem:
The project specifications denote using "...the most current revision of the D1.1 shall be used to qualify welders and welding procedures..."

AWS D1.1:2004, 4.2.1 specifies: "The use of earlier editions shall be prohibited for new qualifications in lieu of the current editions, unless the specific earlier edition is specified in the contract documents."

Some of the comments noted:
"How can a code that was not in existence be enforced?"
"Codes take time to be adopted"
"Comply with the specifications and use the most current edition of the code."

I have run into this numerous times in the past and I always use the current revision of the [welding] code. I wil be qualifying welders this week and qualification will be performed in accordance with the D1.1:2004 revision.

Any comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Using the latest revision is the safest though not necessarily always as per Contract/project specification.
2. I work in the proposals dept reviewing, clarifying, and costing on basis of various client specifications and 1 out of 3 specifications refer to the earlier revision of the code. You won't beleive it there are a number of current projects in which we are still using DNV OS F101 81 & 96 editions. Once it is specified in the contract douments, you have to follow the earlier revision of the code.
3. In your case since the Project specifications specify "...the most current revision of the D1.1 shall be used to qualify welders and welding procedures...",
use the current revision of the [welding] code and qualify welders in accordance with the D1.1:2004 revision.

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
email: sayee_prasad@yahoo.com
If it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened!

Hi Sayee:
Please review the following replies in another thread:
Thread179-84620

I'll get back to all in the next few days if I can get a few more opinions and/or comments.

The edition that should be used is what has been adopted by the building code. Look in the reference section and it lists all the standards and what editions have been approved.

Technically, using any other version of the standard except what has been adopted by the building code would require a moidification to the code that must be approved by the state building officials office.

Just an update on my original post:
1.) I received many different replies from several local building depts. and engineers. They ranged from using the 1992 revision to the 2002.

2.) I did qualify the welders to the 2004 revision of the code 10 days ago, the documentation was deemed satisfactory by the concerned building dept. and RDP for the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back