Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which risk category (RC) are telecommunications structures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike

Structural
Apr 27, 2019
TH
ASCE7-02 table 1-1 says "communications towers" are RC4.
ASCE7-22 C1.5 appears to group "telecommunications centers" under RC3, although it could be written more clearly.
ASCE7-22 figure C1.5-1 hints at RC2, since telecommunications structures are typically sparsely occupied, and a failure would only put tens of lives in direct danger.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with MOTORCITY ..

When you look risk category descriptions in IBC Table 1604.5 ;

RC IV = Buildings and other structures designated as essential facilities, including but not limited to:

. Designated emergency preparedness, communication, and operation centers and other facilities required for emergency
response..

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure..It is: Try to please everybody.

Thanks guys I can get on board with that. I did not read the IBC until you mentioned it. Surprisingly the IBC is not just a watered down regurgitation of ASCE, does not generally reference ASCE, and even smacks it down hardcore at one point: "Where a referenced standard specifies that the assignment of a risk category be in accordance with ASCE 7, Table 1.5-1, Table 1604.5 shall be used in lieu of ASCE 7, Table 1.5-1." So I no longer care what ASCE says [tongue]

My respond to your interpretation will be copy and paste of relevant commentary ;

''C1.5.1 Risk Categorization
......The Risk Category numbering is unchanged from that in the previous editions of the standard (ASCE 7-98, -02, and -05), but the criteria for selecting a category have been generalized with regard to structure and occupancy descriptions. The reason for
this generalization is that the acceptable risk for a building or structure is an issue of public policy, rather than purely a
technical one. Model building codes such as the International Building Code (ICC 2009) and NFPA-5000 (NFPA 2006)
contain prescriptive lists of building types by Occupancy Category.''

If Table 1.5-1 is insufficient for classifying risk category , You may look for more detailed descriptions of
risk category in IBC Table 1604.5.

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure..It is: Try to please everybody.

or more realistically, if IBC is insufficient, you may gain insight by giving ASCE a little bit of minor consideration perhaps. Local codes don't typically reference ASCE, so you are not supposed to follow it. [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back