Which standard stipulates UT inspection 24hrs after welding? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

schaali1

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2008
GB
Hello,

I've been trying to find a standard reference (ASME,AWS) that requires a UT inspection 24 hrs after welding carried out on process piplelines. I just cannot remember which standard it was mentioned in? I would appreciate your help in this regard.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have searched ASME AWS and API, I cannot find where it sates in any of these codes that UT has to be completed in 24hours after welding has been completed, could have been a clients specification that you read to come up with this statement, do you remember who the client was ?

AWS D1.5, not pipeline but maybe there's a related provision in D1.1, which I don't have access to right now:

6.26.5.2. Acceptance of welds in ... Grades ... 100-100W steels shall be based on NDT performed not less than 48 horus after completion of the welds.

12.16.4 (fracture control plan) gives minimum cooling times for UT, MT, VT:
fillet welds on Gr. 50 or less, 24 hours
fillet welds on > Gr. 50, 48 hours
groove welds <= Gr. 50, weld depth <= 2", 24 hours
groove welds <= Gr. 50, weld depth >2", 48 hours
groove welds > Gr. 50, weld depth <= 2", 48 hours
groove welds > Gr. 50, weld depth >2", 72 hours

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I know it is not an American code, but EN1011-2 "Recommendations for welding of metallic materials - Part 2: arc welding of ferritic steels" states in section 18:

"Due to the risk of delayed cracking, a period of 16h is generally required before final inspection"

Don't worry about non-American standards, there is a world outside! Here's a British one: BS 4515-1 for welding of carbon steel pipelines demands that the qualification test weld be inspected 24 hours after completion unless otherwise stipulated

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back