Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Which tool steel is the best for welding? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooldeziner

Aerospace
Oct 14, 2005
US
I am designing an assembly fixture that will require a welded tool steel sub assembly. What is the best tool steel for welding? Anything that is heat treatable to 60-65 RC will suffice for my application. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah, none. The carbon content and alloy compositions are too high, but if you have to, I would try one of the H-grades. Also consider hard face welding or thermal spray on high wear surfaces. Refacing is possible if and when it does wear out. (That's what we did certain tooling when i worked as a process engineer in an automotive assembly plant.)

As the previous posters have indicated, this is a difficult task at best. You would be well advised to try to design around this issue entirely. But, having said that, the "Tool Steel Troubleshooter" by Bethlehem gives some pointers for welding on ANNEALED tool steel, which is what I assume your fixture would entail. 1--Determine type of tool steel you need. 2--Work with a welding rod supplier to find the best match between rod and base metal. 3--Select the smallest diameter rod that can be used for each section size.4--Rod and substrate must be clean and dry.5--Position work so that beads are laid slightly upward. 6--Preheat, post heat as appropriate to the alloy and section size. 7--Weld with minimum heat input consistent with the welding road diameter.8--Deposit stringer beads rather than heavy deposits and weld in a straight path with no weaving.9--Deposit at least 1/16 of weld reinforcement to be later removed by grinding.

And my own comments:1--are you sure you still want to do this? 2--Find a welder experienced in this kind of welding and one that has the proper facilities for pre heat and post heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back