Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Which value to compare for deciding thickness of a pressure vessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben2johns

Student
Jun 10, 2024
GB
I am currently working on a project relating to the temperature distribution in the filling of hydrogen tanks (using CFD). I am planning to change the liner material, which is currently 4mm thick AA6061 (this is for a tank which actually exists and meets the strength requirements). I want to know how I can decide on the thickness of the new materials e.g. titanium alloys are which have better strength properties.

Would I compare deformation, equivalent stress or maybe factor of safety? (I’m thinking of using the optimisation tool to change the thickness depending if it matches a certain value which my current cylinder provides).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to know the detailed analysis methods appropriate for this type of tank. Are you going to use closed form sizing or FEM analysis?
And you need to know what design code or customer requirements are applicable to determine design and sizing requirements and factors of safety.
And you need to know the usage requirements for this tank - spacecraft one time use? ground tank used multiple times which might be sized by fatigue? other?
There is way too little info to be able to reply with any details.

so you want to make a new gas tank (reinventing the wheel ?). The current tank would have shell of some thickness and some yield strength.

Would the new tank be the same size as the old one ?

Research "hoop stress". This is the stress in a pressure vessel, and compare this to yield stress (including whatever safety factors you need to).

As for the thermal properties of the liner, the same logic applies ... compare with the current tank. You should aim for the same performance and improve on the current design in some way (cheaper ? higher working pressure ?? domestic production (if you don't want to buy from overseas) ??)

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back