Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

White LED royalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerbaron

Electrical
Aug 17, 2005
CA
Hi, I know that white LEDs have some patents on them. But my problem is that I buy my LEDs in China and that I have to believe the LED manufacturer that he paid it's dues to the right company.

Is there a way to verify that a manufacturer has an agreement with one company?

How can I tell I'm not being ripped off?

Thanks
BeerBaron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the order size is large enough, I don't believe you would have a problem with the company allowing you to verify the authenticity of its manufacturing capabilities. You're not asking for contract specifics (cost to them), only a nod from the patent parent.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

end users cant be sued for patent infringment from a mfg...mfg are the ones that would have to pay the patent holder for loss of revenue.

That's the problem, we are a manufacturer of lighting equipment, so it's my responsability to make sure that there is no patent infringment.

Regards
Beerbaron

Lemuelson Foundation sued end users for using infringing bar codes and bar code readers. Obviously, the fact that the defendants had DEEP pockets made it particularly worthwhile.

TTFN

Well...you have to relize that they made a business from sueing others with deep pockets and until they finally had someone that didnt back down, did a pretty nice income from it.

I do see your point on being the mfg of lighting products..but the way it usually works, the patent holder first has to find out that you are using a device that is not paying him royalties on the patent. So the start by sending letters demanding you stop infringing on his patent, that can go for a year or so. If they are not in the business, then not sure they can recover anything because, the way the law is, you cant sue for a billion dollars, you can only sue for loss of revenue from when you started to ship the product. Now, the LED mfg is a better target since they are shipping more product specific to the patent, and can generate a larger settlement than little you (ok..so what if your using 10K/month...they are shipping 1000K/month..do the math)

Bottom line...patents are hard to enforce, takes years to even get to the docket, hard to prosecute, and so if they send you a letter (doubt it would ever happen) you comply and start using someone elses white LEDs. If your using a CM, just tell THEM they must use a approved vendor.

I see patents as a way of not getting sued. If you own it, then nobody can come after you. But if you get violated, be ready to make sure its worth going after.

It has to be the case that a user of a product is isolated from patent infringement on the part of the manufacturer of the product. If not can you imagine the chain of checks that would have be done to assemble a pc. How could you veryify Intel had no infingements on its CPU, or battery makers or pcb suppliers. If the reasoning held why wouldn't you have to verify the suplliers supplier and so on. If just would not be possible.

One mechanism is an indemnity clause in the contract

TTFN

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

beerBaron
Is it a wholly-Chinese company, joint venture or non-Chinese company operating in China? In theory it should not make any difference but in practice it will if you are trying to verify if you are "..being ripped off"

again...a story of two companies with deep pockets and an army of company lawyers. If every company was worried about patent infringments, then there wouldnt ever be new products developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back