Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

White-spirit 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sysmique

Chemical
Mar 21, 2004
TN
I've a solution of White-spirit with a known concentration of mercaptans and I want to vary this concentartion by dilution; the problem is that I have not a pur White-spirit for this. I would like, so, to know if there is an other solvant with which I can dilute my solution.

thanks advanced.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
If you say white spirit you mean Ethanol right, I suppose Propan-1-ol is a better solvent than ethanol the only problem is that it is hygroscopic, so better handle carefully.

If you are not satisfied with my answer, Can you put your question in a better way giving chemical names if possible.

I guess there are several different types of white-spirits around the world. My interpretation of white sprit is a heavy naphtha/ light kerosene type of hydrocatbon liquid derived from crude oil or hydroprocessed, low in octane, low in aromatics and used mainly as a solvent.
You also mention mercaptans which is common in un-hydroprocessed naphtha/Kerosene.
From that I would say that any naphtha type, clean paraffin (e.g. Hexane, heptane) etc would be equally good solvent, if thats not present an unleaded gasoline could also be used.

If I am right, "white spirit" is an odorless, mostly paraffinic, hydrocarbon solvent with a boiling range of 153 to 197 [sup]o[/sup]C. Not anymore if it contains mercaptans. Of those in this boiling range one could mention n-amyl mercaptan (BP: 126[sup]o[/sup]C) and heavier. In general, these are objectionable because they impart odour and may cause darkening of cooked varnishes and resins. Specifications for spirits ask for mercaptans to be NIL, or 2 ppm as a maximum, thus your intention of just diminishing their concentration must be very "site-specific".

Depending on their use (architectural finishes, painting, etc.) mineral "spirits" are classified as: regular, odorless, high-flash, and high-solvency.

The solvent properties that interest you were not given. If you are just looking for similar boiling points, "regular" (Stoddard) solvent, and Shellsol D40 may be acceptable additions. In this sense, a "high-flash" aromatic naphtha with an IBP 154[sup]o[/sup]C and a dry point of 177[sup]o[/sup]C devoided of mercaptans, may be applicable. If your "spirit" follows a given specification you should look for more details than just a distillation range. Good luck. [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back