Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

White zoom-window box on a White background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfee

Industrial
Apr 22, 2002
US
They've swapped a new computer under me, and upgraded my ACAD. All good.

HOWEVER -
Now on my white background in model-space (I use a white background when swapping my view style to HIDDEN) my Zoom-W box stays white. In the past (and on my previous computer) if I selected a color-7 background, control items like crosshairs and windows-boxes (Like ZOOM - W) would flip to black, but now the crosshairs flip to black but the window boxes stay white. I was used to setting the crosshair color to black for color schemes using a white background, and that covered everything (like window-boxes, etc.) but now the control seems disconnected from those other items.

Is there another setting now that I'm missing ? You can work on a setup so long that with the "improvements" in some "upgrades" non-broken items get "fixed" and its hard to find documentation on some of them.

Thanks -

C. Fee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmmmmm ... I guess I wasn't clear. Sorry. The steps mentioned in my question cover the OPTIONS - COLORS approach mentioned.

I set my crosshairs to black, which used to cover such items as zoom window boxes, etc, but with "improvements" this no longer seems to be the case.

There was even a time that default colors would automatically swap when going from a black background in MS to white. Then you had to change them manually by changing them individually (but at least you could get to them to make the change). Then you had to change just the crosshairs and the others would follow, but no longer direct access to them. NOW nothing follows the swap. You even have to swap the crosshairs manually, and yet the zoom window boxes etc no longer change and there's no longer a switch for those. I guess its somehow much better to not be able to see your zoom window box on a white background (improvements with upgrades), but I "don't see" it !

Workaraound-
Similar to the one I use when SOLVIEWing and SLODRAWing (NOT solprof - that's entirely different).
New TAB, create PS viewports similar to the ones I use in MS for multi-viewport 3D Modeling, and go from there. My SWAP-VIEWs commands still work and I can see my zoom windows, etc. I have to be careful to remember I'm working thru a hole "cut" in my paper to get to the model behind, but it works .

Oh well. Back to the drawing board !

-C.

ACAD treats colour 7 a little strangely. Are you sure the black lines are selected to be colour 7 too? Or are they a very light colour, like grey 8, or a very dark colour, like #250? If so, then ACAD won't flip them.

STF

SparWeb-
Thanks for trying, but if you'll take a close look at my post, I lay out in a DETAILED way what's going on -

MODEL SPACE:
1. The COLOR reset in the OPTIONS dialog calls for the background color setting. I set it to black, crosshairs` stay white, zoom - W boxes etc are white, just as they should be. 2. Change background to COLOR-7 /White, crosshairs change to black, zoom-w boxes STAY white. All boxes, like Zoom-D stay WHITE on a white background. This is NEW behavior. 3. I manually set crosshairs to black, and zoom-w boxes STAY white. At ACAD 2012 the flip was PROPERLY handled. Still, details could be individually set IF desired. Now at 2014 the flip IS NOT properly handled, and there is NO access to the zoom-w box or the zoom-d box in the COLORS tab of the OPTIONS dialog box.

I have re-tried this on a legally licensed installation of ACAD 2012, and PROPER BEHAVIOR is observed. Access to details is available.

Now, please don't misunderstand me. I FULLY realize this behavior is unexpected, and many in the community don't really know what to do when AutoDESK "Improves" these kinds of things unexpectedly, and certainly can be surprised when sharing based on their past experience results in a reply post that doesn't fit the circumstances. I genuinely appreciate your giving it a try, and please believe me when I say that I'm sympathetic and appreciate your try to help !

problem recap-
I had requested the upgrade on my new computer to ACAD-2014 for the enhancements in the VIEW commands projecting MODEL Space 3D model to PAPERSPACE Tab 2D drawing views. In the process I give up a number of capabilities allowing me to model effectively and FAST in ACAD-3D.

Quandry - FAST, Effective 3D Modeling in AutoCAD, or FAST Effective Drawing view extraction improved from 2012 to 2014? Frustrating that gaining the latter sacrifices the former, but this has been the CONSISTENT history with AutoCAD from its VERY earliest days. I have been a STRONG AutoCAD user from the EARLIEST days of AutoCAD (v-1.17 - Before the dimensioning module was released to the public ... !) and with EVERY release, the drive to make surprise "improvements" has been a source of consistent frustration for the community. As Lead local ATC Instructor for 5 years in the Mid to late 90's, I made regular trips to AutoDESK "Train the Trainer" seminars in LA Calif. and sat on a number of user input boards, both in person and by correcpondence, and this single issue - unexpected "Improvements" was the main source of frustration. Rather than correcting bugs, the overwhelming need to release "Innovations" and "Improvements" led to some of the greatest frustrations we as a community had to deal with. ACAD r-5, r-9, R-11/12 MS to PS / DOS to WIN, AME (actually very good), ACAD r-13 , ACAD 2008/9, 2013.

Yes, I know Inventor is a "superior" modeler, and has many significant advantages over ACAD. I'm an Inventor user, too. But I can do things with ACAD "on the fly" that I can use to explore initial concepts before I begin the "virtual prototyping" phase of a project. And its easier to send models and details around for comment and input than packing-and-going an Inventor model. Each tool has its proper place.

I remain in need of a solution. If anyone can point me to an effective resource, I will remain grateful and will post back with my thanks and the results gained.

Thanks again,

-C.

Cfee,
I sense your frustration, but relax. To understand your problem I would have to set up for 3D hidden visualstyles in AutoCAD and I haven't done that in many years. And reluctant to try because your problem is very peculiar - I don't expect I can reproduce your problem. Last time I used the oddball VS modes in AutoCAD the whole experience was frustrating to me, too.

There are designers out there who also like AutoCAD for 3D work, and some who insist on it, and I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.

The one piece of advice I can offer: Export your settings once you get them the way you like. Save as a text file. Keep that file far away from your workstation. Next time your company swaps your workstation, go get the settings file, and re-set AutoCAD the way you like it. Of course nowadays it's got several such files (Profiles, worskpaces, etc.) but I hope you get my drift.

STF

BTW-

White background set in colors tab of options dialog, not visualstyles. All very frustrating. Oh well.

Probably best to go back to earlier successful ACAD, but ever try dealing with adesk & their licensing hoops ? high-cost/high frustration - low success rate/high "improvements" rate + "new" licensing changes = open season for workalikes + adesk "infringement" lawsuits. Have fun !

-C.

... and Zooms & Orbits no longer center on the selected object if in a P-Space viewport, like before. Another "Improvement
" I guess. ADESK - New wish list item: PLEASE require a minimum age for deciding on "improvements" at something older than 20 ? Thanks !

Nvidea Quadro 4000 with latest drivers not enough ? Hmmm... ok. Solution to ACAD 2014 shortcomings is Buy 2015 or 2016 ? Uh - the problems didn't exist at 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back