Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who has a wife that works in your firm? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHB51

Structural
Jul 19, 2004
US
I have had a small structural firm for 19 years. My wife is a pastor but has always came in once a week to do payrolls, pay bills, generate billings, etc.

Sometimes it has been really great but we have had our worst fights over taxes; payroll taxes, quarterly, end of year and any other tax situations. Needless to say she is very right brained and I being left brained think differently.

I don't want to come across like it is always a big battle but we have had our differences at the office. One time she threw files at me. 98% of the time it has been great.
We also leave our work battles at the office and do not bring them home; work is work, home is home.

How has it worked out for you?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have experience of this situation but;

"My wife is a pastor but has always came in once a week"
I'm reading between the lines and am curious; why did you feel that was relevant?
Does she come in to 'do the books' because you asked her to or because she wants to?

"Needless to say she is very right brained and I being left brained think differently."
... but who is usually correct when it comes to "taxes; payroll taxes, quarterly, end of year and any other tax situations"?

"One time she threw files at me"
Count yourself lucky. They could have been the large heavy and sharp metal-removing variety. [lol]

BTW, do you also help her in her "workplace/business"?

[cheers]

Actually, she came in because she wanted to; not because I asked her. However, I was glad she wanted to be involved.

It isn't a matter who was right or wrong with the taxes;
it was other issues with them.

Yes, I do help her in her pastoral duties. I always proofread her sermons and give suggestions and other misc. chores.

RHB51,

My wife and me work together in a small manufacturing company in the UK.

She is the Managing Director (President in the USA?), and I am just a Director, although we own the business 50:50.

After 15 years it has become heaven. We have the usual "discussions" at work, but when we get home she becomes "mum" to our two kids and work is generally off limits until the kids are in bed, then a brief "discussion" of work (only if required) and then she watches crap on the tv and I go to the pub for an hour or so to meet male company and unwind.

Me: a pig in "s***t" thanks!

Cheers

Harry

My wife does book entry and pay's bills once a week.

I fired her three times in the last year.

I hired her again, I try to let things go. I think it's best if she sees the cash flow, understands our situation.

try not to get emotional, things are the way they are.

Charlie

RHB51,

have you ever looked into paying her for her time (if that is allowed for pastors).

You might find it is less tax to pay her for her time than to take the profit yourself. Just a thought.

I am not in business myself yet, but when I am I will be thinking of doing the same thing myself. She is better with money anyhow.

csd

My husband and I own a mechanical/civil and electrical engineering firm. We've worked together for 18 years & wouldn't have it any other way. (Just ask him!!!)

I would like to suggest in lieu of throwing files-it's always beneficial to keep a corporate squirt gun around the office armed and ready for firing! A Nerf fly bomb works almost as well.

...and fill it with Tabasco sauce... :)

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

AsI have had a home office for the past 21 years, and my wife occasionally helps me, sometimes answering the phone, making copies, etc. More often in determinimg how to deal with difficult clients. We do try to work as a team. She always pushes for higher fees.

We also raise, breed, and sell Yorkshire Terriers, and have done so for 10 years now. I do most of the dirty work, and she markets and sells the dogs. I write and proofread the contracts. It's mostly her business, but I help where I can.

So far, we have worked well together, not perfectly, just well. We are human. (bigsmile)

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

My wife and I met at work about 15 years ago. We became really good friends and co-workers only at first. About 2 years later we started dating and were married 5 years after that.

We are now at our third firm together and our offices are right down the hall from each other.

I believe because we were co-workers first and a couple second, it has given us training on how to act at work and at home. A lot of times when new people start working here, it takes them a while to figure out that we are married because we keep everything professional in the office.

We also each have our defined part to add to the team. She does the books, analysys and reports. I do the design, plan production, software/hardware, and jurisdictional standards. We both meet with our clients and their subs.

An idea you might try if your wife is going to be the accounant is have her start an LLC accounting company and you contract all of your accounting work to her company. I have a friend who does this and he says that's how he keeps from taking it in the shorts when it comes to taxes. He pays for his cars, computers etc... all this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back