Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Who Invented the Projected Nose Spark Plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamefront

Automotive
Dec 29, 2004
US
Guys

I'm involved in a patent study project and am looking for the first patent on the projected nose spark plug, which from my memory, was done by Champion in the late 60's.

Anyone out there know the history of these?

Thanks for any input -

Flamefront

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it is patented, who owns the original patent.

If it was patented and someone else invented it, they would very likely have killed the patent with a claim of prior knowledge.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Patprimer

That's sort of what I've been asked to prove - someone has been issued a patent on a projected nose spark plug that we all know was shown in prior art from long ago. I'm trying to document this. It is turning out to be not as easy - all of this occurred before the internet. It also appears that it may have not been patented. As for physical samples, people throw away old spark plugs, so it is a bit of a interesting dilema - how to prove something is prior art when the product is not around. Looks like I'll be sleuthing old SAE papers in the end, which should work...

Thanks for weighing in...

What about an old Champion plug catalog that list and illustrates projected core plugs.

They are listed, with a description of their function in a book called "How to Hot Rod Small Block Chevy's" or something like that. It was by HP books or SA books.

I will try to dust off my copies.

Regards

Isn't the patent office amazing? They continuously grant new patents for things that are either already in general use or previously patented. They don't seem to spend one minute looking at prior art.

I read Smokey Unick's 3 book biography when it came out shortly after his death. I seem to recall several paragraphs describing his work with Champion developing new spark plug designs. Just food for thought.

Good day,

I was going to suggest that it may have been Smokey Yunick too. I think I remember reading about it somewhere. If you google him you will probably find a list of his contributions somewhere. It might be a lead for you.

You could check out local swap meets or Hemmings Motor News for leads. There are many hobbiests out there who need NOS parts, spark plugs included.

Excellent tips, guys I appreciate it.

I met Smokey once and had a long conversation with him about spark plugs. I have to tell you what he said - I asked him about indexing plugs - did it really make any difference. Smokey replied with a PG-13 rated answer that surprised me, saying: "Well, you might as well be out behind the shop playing with your pec*er as you would be trying to index spark plugs for more power..."

I repeat this off-color quotation with the greatest respect for a man who understood emperical development better than anyone I've met before or since...

Smokey Yunick claims to developed it and autolite produced it. He never took out a patent on it and thus never recieved any financial compensation.-----Phil

I'd be stepping over the 'bright lines' of my confidentiality agreement if I disclosed the patent number at this point, and I would never do such a thing. I hope you understand.

Suffice it to say that someone did get a patent on having a projected insulator tip within the bast decade, and only a few patents were referenced by the USPTO in its examination of the applications merits. It it looks like one of those cases where someone patented something that was common knowledge/practice to "those skilled in the art", but not common knowledge to the USPTO examiner. In defense of the USPTO, how would they know without physically disecting current art products themselves, which they don't have time to do. They generally only look at other patents, unless it is very obvious. The examiners are pretty well educated on their field of review, but this is one that slipped by, it appears.

Additionally, the patent system only gives you 'offensive' rights, so it is only valuable if the inventor goes after the infringers, which this particular inventor would be foolish to do, since it would not even make it to court based on the prior art. It is only useful as a vanity patent for him to post on his office wall, and maybe impress his management with if they don't know spark plugs themselves. Heck, the inventor himself may not know that projected nose plugs had been around - I've seen more than one invention created in a 'vacuum' by smart people who did not fully know the field. Not to belabor the point, but if the inventor did know of prior art, he is required to disclose it during his application to the PTO.

Sorry for the diatribe. I appreciate the input from everyone on this, and I'll post more information if I find out more about the Smokey trail. I'll also ask a few of my Autolite engineer buddies what they remember about that period, and let everyone know.

It is patently obvious :) that this patent (or at least the projected core component) will not pass the innovation test if challenged.

It is doubtful if it would have even when developed by Smokey, which might be why he did not patent it.

If different existing plugs had different projections at the time, it would probably be regarded as the next logical step to someone skilled in the art.

Just my unqualified opinion.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back